Need help

Softwaretester

Hello

I Downloaded a very good mod in my own Minecraft server....the problem is I dedicated the entire server to the mod package.

i am worried if one day I build my server so exceptionally well and then one day the mod creator decides to end all support and disappear 

this has happened to me and happens too a lot of people who rent or lease servers.

i have no idea how mods work......

can someone please explain how the .jar works

for mods too work does it have to be dependent on The creators server? I’m confused how it runs

do mods work based on my hardware capabilities? Or on the creators

can mods be tracked by the creator? If they are tracked they can be deleted. If they are not tracked then I’m the only one who can delete

it.

please explain 

thank you !

Edited by Softwaretester

3 hours ago, Softwaretester said:

i have no idea how mods work......

They're java code, the jar file is just a zip file containing the compiled code.

for mods too work does it have to be dependent on The creators server?

No.

do mods work based on my hardware capabilities?

Yours. It runs on YOUR computer. Software isn't magic.

can mods be tracked by the creator? If they are tracked they can be deleted. If they are not tracked then I’m the only one who can delete

it.

Any mod that isn't malicious is likely not tracked by the creator. No one cares.

If its malicious, you have other, bigger problems than "does the creator know I'm using it!?!?!?"

A mod should not be able to delete itself. Doesn't mean it can't, but that'd be Kind Of Weird.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

4 hours ago, Draco18s said:

They're java code, the jar file is just a zip file containing the compiled code.

No.

Yours. It runs on YOUR computer. Software isn't magic.

Any mod that isn't malicious is likely not tracked by the creator. No one cares.

If its malicious, you have other, bigger problems than "does the creator know I'm using it!?!?!?"

A mod should not be able to delete itself. Doesn't mean it can't, but that'd be Kind Of Weird. 

hello thanks for a reply....I am going on the fact that it is still very possible that the mod can delete itself and that the host maybe change his mind 5 years. 

its kind of a weird question because I’m not really using Minecraft for gaming but for education. So the files cannot be deleted ever especially if I store all the data I depend onto it.  

i have seen this happen before. 

2 hours ago, Softwaretester said:

its kind of a weird question because I’m not really using Minecraft for gaming but for education. So the files cannot be deleted ever especially if I store all the data I depend onto it.  

i have seen this happen before. 

As I said, no non-malicious mod would delete itself. That would be dumb.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

13 minutes ago, Softwaretester said:

Well I don’t see that you have any actually experience creating a mod so why are you responding ?

If you did literally one google search you could see that he does. And don't be rude because he's actually taking the time to answer your questions.

As for the answer to your question:

On 10/26/2020 at 6:02 PM, Draco18s said:

As I said, no non-malicious mod would delete itself. That would be dumb.

Yep, said it all. Just because you've seen it doesn't mean it true in all cases. That's like saying because I've seen someone die from eating an apple that all apples kill whoever eats it.

38 minutes ago, Softwaretester said:

Well I don’t see that you have any actually experience creating a mod so why are you responding ?

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/ (and its older predecessor https://github.com/Draco18s/HarderStuff

https://github.com/Draco18s/Redstone

https://github.com/Draco18s/Decaying-World

https://github.com/Draco18s/Artifacts

And a bunch of others that never got on github

image.png.aaaea9cbda4c34a5ad33f8268fa0faf7.pngimage.png.959ea2818972a2c63849c546441e3568.png

(Crossed out ones are already covered or not mods)

Sure. No experience.

I have no idea what the fuck chickens is any more. I looked at the code in it and as far as I can tell, it spawns a structure (can't tell what) and that's it.

21 minutes ago, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Yep, said it all. Just because you've seen it doesn't mean it true in all cases. That's like saying because I've seen someone die from eating an apple that all apples kill whoever eats it.

You're not wrong. It could happen, but I'd still call that a malicious mod. I don't see any legitimate need for a mod to uninstall itself without being malicious. It could still happen, but its like you say, just because you've seen someone die from eating an apple, there's no reason to avoid eating apples. Its rare, its dumb, you don't worry about it.

Edited by Draco18s

Minecraft mods are fully fledged Java programs. That means they are capable of doing almost ANYTHING on your computer. They can insert themselves as a background program and spy on your every move; they can key log your keyboard in the background to retrieve credential informations of your account; they can corrupt every single file on your device.

However, being capable of these things doesn't mean it will happen. As long as you didn't get your mod from some dodgy site, you should be fine. A mod is a file on your computer; it won't delete itself unless its author intends to do so (which is weird, and never happens unless the mod is intentionally being weird, in which case you should think twice before installing it).

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.