[1.16.x] Packet Invalid Message

urbanxx001

I have a button in my screen class to send a packet to the container in order to update the inventory (client to server), according to this. Opening the gui and clicking the button in-game, I receive an invalid message error that originates from:

PacketHandler.CHANNEL.send(PacketDistributor.ALL.noArg(), new CapCompContainer(ModContainerTypes.MULTI_9X3.get(), containerID, containerInd, senderInv, 3));

According to this the issue could stem from registration, but I ensured that the packet is registered in FMLCommonSetup and specified the network direction PLAY_TO_SERVER.

Classes:

PacketHandler

PacketUpdateContainer

CapCompContainer

CapCompScreen

It's called in:

private static void commonSetup(FMLCommonSetupEvent event) {
    DeferredWorkQueue.runLater(() -> {
        CapCompScreen.register();
        PacketHandler.register();
    });
}

which in turn is called in the Common Proxy class as:

final IEventBus modEventBus = FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus();
modEventBus.addListener(CommonProxy::commonSetup);
Edited by urbanxx001

Alright I've redone a bit and it's working as long as the block position is given manually in the packet handler. I've been trying to pass it from the tile entity => container => screen instead, however something strange occurs in the container. It receives the correct te and block position, but then a second te with null position is detected. Classes below.

ModBlock

ModTileEntity

ModContainer

Edited by urbanxx001

35 minutes ago, urbanxx001 said:

It receives the correct te and block position, but then a second te with null position is detected. Classes below.

From what I can see, you are not using the BlockPos you are sending NetworkHooks.openGui(), and thus the 'dummy' ModTileEntity the container creates on the client will have a null BlockPos.

As a side note, I would encourage you to stay away from LockableLootTileEntity and IInventory, and instead use the recommended forge alternative IItemHandler.

2 hours ago, vemerion said:

I would encourage you to stay away from LockableLootTileEntity and IInventory, and instead use the recommended forge alternative IItemHandler.

I'll definitely consider IItemHandler down the line, thanks.

With openGui() I was passing the block pos:

NetworkHooks.openGui((ServerPlayerEntity) player, ((INamedContainerProvider) tileentity), t -> t.writeBlockPos(pos));

So the problem is this isn't synced with the client. I'll try getUpdatePacket() and onDataPacket() in the te then.

Edited by urbanxx001