Help for modding needed!

BeastDev

Hello everyone!

I'm a VERY new modder in this community. I have never touched neither forge modding nor Java, however I am looking towards changing that. I'm in desperate need of tips, suggested learn curves, or ANYTHING! I HAVE watched a surface-level 1.15-16 forge modding in IntelliJ tutorial playlist, and I am currently working on a mod that adds tools and armor of every ore/item I think should have their counterparts, and its all going well so far... but I still want to learn some stuff like custom foods, custom GUIs, and much more. So, if any of you fellas out there are willing to help me out, I'd be more then happy to give you my contact information so you can help me. I am REALLY interested in this, so please respond if you can!

Cheers!

First of all, this sentence is in the wrong order:

I have never touched neither forge modding nor Java

You ideally would not want to start minecraft modding and hope to also learn java along the way because, trust me, it will be painful and probably will lead to you give up and stop modding very soon. First thing everyone here would suggest you is to get yourself a solid foundation in java programming, and only then start digging into the mess that is minecraft code. After you have learnt java the best sources when modding are: vanilla minecraft code, various test mods around the web, and a ton of open source mods you can look into to see how they do things. Regarding tutorials on the web, GreyGhost's one is a good place to learn: https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample. I suggest to not follow  the tutorial series you can find on youtube because:

1)  They follow and teach some bad coding practices (refer to this post for explanations https://forums.minecraftforge.net/topic/92655-1163-how-do-i-create-a-new-dimension/?tab=comments#comment-427419)

2) For the most part they don't explain how the code they are showing works

3) They don't really cover many things and if you need to do something that there is not a tutorials for you would be stuck because they didn't give you the tools to do things on your own.

Again, its highly suggested to learn java before even thinking to start modding minecraft (if you care about your mental sanity)

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port

20 minutes ago, BeastDev said:

I have never touched neither forge modding nor Java

Do not try learning a library of Java without learning Java itself. It's like trying to run before you can walk. This is why almost everyone suggests that you take some time (probably a years-worth if you want to have the concepts with some level of mastery) before you learn how to use the Forge Modding Library

24 minutes ago, BeastDev said:

I HAVE watched a surface-level 1.15-16 forge modding in IntelliJ tutorial playlist

The only videos we recommend are those from McJty. This is because most tutorial videos usually promote bad practices or outdated code. Mine also fall under this category. Spend some time reading the documentation and analyzing the source before attempting this. This is of course once you have an intermediate level of Java.

13 minutes ago, Beethoven92 said:

First thing everyone here would suggest you is to get yourself a solid foundation in java programming, and only then start digging into the mess that is minecraft code.

Yeah, i figured... I DO have experience to some extend, but it's all from my school (electrical engineering)- I'm sure you know it's all basic-level stuff. School's killing me atm, but rumors are saying that my country is gonna close them again, which I am really hoping for (go figure), and if that IS the case, I'd me more then happy to spend a few months on constantly learning Java. I've always been told I'm a fast learner, and when I put my mind to learning something, that's basically all I do. I learned c#, GML and html that way, so I'm hoping a few months are enough for me to get a semi-solid foundation for this. Now, the question is: can you suggest a place to start? Perhaps a certain use of Java coding I should start with (like game development, program coding or anything like that), or a documented, or even better VIDEO tutorial/course I can follow? I'd be mad thankful if you did!

28 minutes ago, Beethoven92 said:

First of all, this sentence is in the wrong order:

Yeah, sorry about that... English is not my native language and I'm honestly tired rn... been a long day. So, apologies if my English is crooked, or my sentences don't make sense, I'm trying my best!

24 minutes ago, BeastDev said:

Yeah, sorry about that... English is not my native language and I'm honestly tired rn... been a long day. So, apologies if my English is crooked, or my sentences don't make sense, I'm trying my best!

Sorry, this was not meant to be a grammatical correction 😆 my english is pretty bad as well...i thought that what i said after that explained my first sentence, but for clarification i just meant that you should not put modding before java learning into your mindset, thats all

Now, the question is: can you suggest a place to start? Perhaps a certain use of Java coding I should start with (like game development, program coding or anything like that), or a documented, or even better VIDEO tutorial/course I can follow? I'd be mad thankful if you did!

Good Java knowledge (and a great amount of patience) should be enough to get you appreciable results..of course knowledge of how a video games generally works can only be of help, but its not really mandatory regarding minecraft modding (in my opinion). You marking the VIDEO word makes me think that you are someone who learns better by watching and listening rather than by reading? Unfortunately i do not know if there are good java tutorials on youtube because personally i learnt on a java manual. Probably someone else can point you to good java tutorials/courses on the web. Last, since you seem to prefer video tutorials, regarding forge modding there's actually a good tutorial on youtube. Take a look at McJty channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYMg1JQw3syJBgPeW6m68lA/videos?view_as=subscriber

Edited by Beethoven92
  • Like 1

Check out the port of the BetterEnd fabric mod (WIP): https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/betterend-forge-port

6 minutes ago, Beethoven92 said:

You marking the VIDEO word makes me think that you are someone who learns better by watching and listening rather than by reading?

Thanks so much for the replies. I guess ill just go to my local IT store, I have been eyeballing some Java books... they are pretty thick tho so it might take a while 😂. Sorry for bothering you, but just one more question: in the meantime, do you think you can help me out with this mod? I'd like to ask you a few direct questions on what SHOULD be basic stuff, i'm just trying to finish this mod for now, but i'll be sure to get some good knowledge on Java later.

Well, i am by no means the best forge modder here, there are lot of people with much more experience around. Look, if you have trouble developing your mod you can make a post on this forum explaining what the issue is and possibly show the code you tried, and who will have time to answer (me or someone else) will help you. Just one recommendation, don't expect people here to give away the code ready for you...if possibile on this forum we try to give hints and point people to good learning material so they can eventually figure them out the solution of their problem, and learn something in the process

Edited by Beethoven92
  • Thanks 1