How can I create a custom sign?

Flenix

Hey guys,

I want to make a few of my own signs (kind of similar to the vanilla signs)

The main difference will be shape, and the position/amount of lines or characters that can be written.

I tried copying the vanilla sign block + entity classes to experiment, but eclipse wasn't very happy about that (It kept telling me I had to create a constructor, then I'd create it and it'd tell me it was wrong...)  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

"it'd tell me it was wrong"? How so?

Well, it'd ask me to create a constructor. I'd click the link to auto-make it, and get this:

public TileEntityRoadSignBlock(int roadSignID, Class par2Class, boolean par3) {

//Todo: Auto Generated Stub

}

So, obviously I needed to add a few things, so I added:

super(roadSignID, Material.iron);

this.isFreestanding = par3;

and also

private Class signEntityClass;

(All of which are directly from the Sign's block class)

Then it accepts that as no errors, but back in my main block class it simply tells me I need a constructor again and would auto-create that same thing, going around in circles.

I'm not quite sure what I did, but I seem to have fixed it again now. However, when I try and place the sign in-game I get "Unable to locate sign at [coords]"

You seem to know literally everything about Forge.. any idea what I'm missing? :P I've registered the tile entity so I'm not sure what else there is. Maybe the sign has another class that I've not found yet?

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

"it'd tell me it was wrong"? How so?

Well, it'd ask me to create a constructor. I'd click the link to auto-make it, and get this:

public TileEntityRoadSignBlock(int roadSignID, Class par2Class, boolean par3) {

//Todo: Auto Generated Stub

}

So, obviously I needed to add a few things, so I added:

super(roadSignID, Material.iron);

this.isFreestanding = par3;

and also

private Class signEntityClass;

(All of which are directly from the Sign's block class)

Then it accepts that as no errors, but back in my main block class it simply tells me I need a constructor again and would auto-create that same thing, going around in circles.

I'm not quite sure what I did, but I seem to have fixed it again now. However, when I try and place the sign in-game I get "Unable to locate sign at [coords]"

You seem to know literally everything about Forge.. any idea what I'm missing? :P I've registered the tile entity so I'm not sure what else there is. Maybe the sign has another class that I've not found yet?

That would seem more like a Java problem or an Eclipse problem. Did you copy TESign or extend TESign? Because I just did both, and I didn't get any errors for either. Besides, TESign doesn't have a constructor (oddly enough, it gets intialized by reflection), and the constructor you wrote matched instead BlockSign. When I copy BlockSign, it works (no compile errors anyway), and when I extend it, it asks for the constructor, which I give to it, matching your code, and Eclipse is satisfied.

BEWARE OF GOD

---

Co-author of Pentachoron Labs' SBFP Tech.