[1.15.2] Quarry Tile Entity Not Saving Time Ticked When Leaving World

foonicular

The quarry tile entity I made is not saving the ticked time when you leave the world. I have an NBT helper class that contains read and write functions for my tile entity. I believe that it is because I am missing TileEntity#markDirty(), and if it is, do I put that in my tile entity class? Also, is there anything else that I am missing? Thanks in advance to those who help.

GitHub: http://github.com/foonicular/AMCMod

Edited by foonicular

8 hours ago, foonicular said:

The quarry tile entity I made is not saving the ticked time when you leave the world. I have an NBT helper class that contains read and write functions for my tile entity. I believe that it is because I am missing TileEntity#markDirty(), and if it is, do I put that in my tile entity class? Also, is there anything else that I am missing? Thanks in advance to those who help.

GitHub: http://github.com/foonicular/AMCMod

@Override
	public void read(CompoundNBT compound) {
		super.read(compound);
		CompoundNBT initValues = compound.getCompound("initvalues");
		if(initValues != null) {
			this.x = initValues.getInt("x");
			this.y = initValues.getInt("y");
			this.z = initValues.getInt("z");
			this.tick = 0;
			initialized = true;
			return;
		}
		init();
	}

You are hard setting the tick field to 0 every time your tileEntity reads the saved NBT data

11 minutes ago, foonicular said:

how would I store the time the ticks between logins?

the game doesn't really tick when the game isn't running

but you can call Instant.now().getEpochSecond() to get the current time as a long. you could get this value whenever it unloaded (you can override onChunkUnloaded for instance) and save it in a nbt for instance. then when it loaded back again you could get the current time as a long again and calculated the difference. Then you'd have the elapsed time in seconds.

(also: you're not being a jerk, don't worry)

Edited by kiou.23

48 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

the game doesn't really tick when the game isn't running

but you can call Instant.now().getEpochSecond() to get the current time as a long. you could get this value whenever it unloaded (you can override onChunkUnloaded for instance) and save it in a nbt for instance. then when it loaded back again you could get the current time as a long again and calculated the difference. Then you'd have the elapsed time in seconds.

Where should this go? Within the tile entity class? Also, how would I go about storing the value in an NBT, I have barely any knowledge on NBT currently

Edited by foonicular

9 hours ago, foonicular said:

Where should this go? Within the tile entity class? Also, how would I go about storing the value in an NBT, I have barely any knowledge on NBT currently

I'm not 100% sure, as I'm also new to modding. but I think you can do this in the write and read methods. In the write method you can save the current time to the nbt.

and in the read method you can get the difference between the current time and the saved time

So something along the lines of this would work? Create a variable that stores the seconds ticked, when the chunk is unloaded write the seconds ticked variable to it. Then when the chunk is loaded, multiply the seconds ticked variable by 20 (because it is in seconds) set ticks = to seconds ticked and change the 'if ticks = 60000' to 'if ticks >= 60000' to prevent it from breaking?

2 hours ago, foonicular said:

So something along the lines of this would work? Create a variable that stores the seconds ticked, when the chunk is unloaded write the seconds ticked variable to it. Then when the chunk is loaded, multiply the seconds ticked variable by 20 (because it is in seconds) set ticks = to seconds ticked and change the 'if ticks = 60000' to 'if ticks >= 60000' to prevent it from breaking?

when the chunk is loaded, calculate the difference between the current time, and the time you stored, and then multiply it by 20.

but then I think you would want to divide by 60,000 to know how many times it should have executed?

It depends, do you want it to behave as if if it was executing while the game wasn't loaded? so it behaves in "real time"