[1.16.4] Random Item texture based on an NBT tag

Sainthozier

Hi.
What I'm trying to do is set a random texture to my item, which is based on an NBT tag. Actually it's a book and I wanna to change its texture cover dynamically.
I have 8 custom rarity types and 8 book cover textures per rarity type. So I have something like this:

• rarity_A NBT tag. Possible textures: a_book_1.png, a_book_2.png, a_book_3.png, a_book_4.png, a_book_5.png, a_book_6.png, a_book_7.png, a_book_8.png;
  • rarity_B NBT tag. Possible textures: b_book_1.png, b_book_2.png, b_book_3.png, b_book_4.png, b_book_5.png, b_book_6.png, b_book_7.png, b_book_8.png; 
  • rarity_C NBT tag. Possible textures: c_book_1.png, c_book_2.png, c_book_3.png, c_book_4.png, c_book_5.png, c_book_6.png, c_book_7.png, c_book_8.png;
    etc...

Should I create a custom texture atlas for this? How can I pick a random texture based on the book rarity NBT key and set it for the book model? 

P.S. Sorry for my English. I don't asleep probably for 40 hours and my mind is kinda fucked up.

If there's only small amount of textures/models, just use ItemPropertyOverrides:

https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/models/overrides/

the doc is currently on 1.15, in 1.16 instead of adding it in item's constructor or so, you need to add the property override to ItemModelProperties in client setup via ParellelDispatchEvent#enqueueWork.

IItemPropertyGetter provides the stack where you can get its "Rarity"

Edited by poopoodice
  • Thanks 1