[SOLVED] Spawning Particles with an Item

mardiff

I want my sword item to spawn particles when it's right clicked. I'm not really sure how to do it, I was hoping someone could give me a sample. Heres the code I have for my sword:

package redstone;
import java.util.Random;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IconRegister;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumToolMaterial;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
public class RedstoneSword extends ItemSword
{
public RedstoneSword(int par1, EnumToolMaterial par2EnumToolMaterial)
{
super(par1, par2EnumToolMaterial);
}
@Override
public void updateIcons(IconRegister par1IconRegister) {
this.iconIndex = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("redstoneTextures:redstoneSword");
}
}

If you really want help, give that modder a thank you.

Modders LOVE thank yous.

I tried to insert a spawnParticle on an item right click and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong:

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer)
{

par2World.spawnParticle("reddust", par3EntityPlayer.posX, par3EntityPlayer.posY, par3EntityPlayer.posZ, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);

par3EntityPlayer.setItemInUse(par1ItemStack, this.getMaxItemUseDuration(par1ItemStack));
	return par1ItemStack;
}

The last part with set Item in Use is just so the sword continues to block. It still does nothing, please help.

Modders LOVE thank yous.

I tried to insert a spawnParticle on an item right click and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong:

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer)
{

par2World.spawnParticle("reddust", par3EntityPlayer.posX, par3EntityPlayer.posY, par3EntityPlayer.posZ, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);

par3EntityPlayer.setItemInUse(par1ItemStack, this.getMaxItemUseDuration(par1ItemStack));
	return par1ItemStack;
}

The last part with set Item in Use is just so the sword continues to block. It still does nothing, please help.

Are you sure? It looks like the particles are being spawned inside the player, with no velocity, so it may be that they're being spawned but you can't see them.

BEWARE OF GOD

---

Co-author of Pentachoron Labs' SBFP Tech.

I don't think that would make much of a difference, considering many of the vanilla particle effects don't integrate velocity whatsoever.

Modders LOVE thank yous.

I finally got it to work! Here's the code for the whole class, I'm not quite sure how it was different but it works for some reason now:

package redstone;

import java.util.Random;

{
{
}

@Override
	this.iconIndex = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("quartzTextures:quartzSword");
}

{
	for(int countparticles = 0; countparticles <= 10; ++countparticles)
	{
		par2World.spawnParticle("reddust", par3EntityPlayer.posX + 1, par3EntityPlayer.posY, par3EntityPlayer.posZ, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);
	}

return par1ItemStack;
}
}

But now I have a different problem. The particles only spawn in the same place, which is always 1 block east of the player, no matter where he is looking. I think having the same effect as the potions do would be appropriate. Does anyone know where that is?

Modders LOVE thank yous.

I finally got it to work! Here's the code for the whole class, I'm not quite sure how it was different but it works for some reason now:

package redstone;

import java.util.Random;

{
{
}

@Override
	this.iconIndex = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("quartzTextures:quartzSword");
}

{
	{
		par2World.spawnParticle("reddust", par3EntityPlayer.posX + 1, par3EntityPlayer.posY, par3EntityPlayer.posZ, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);
	}

return par1ItemStack;
}
}

But now I have a different problem. The particles only spawn in the same place, which is always 1 block east of the player, no matter where he is looking. I think having the same effect as the potions do would be appropriate. Does anyone know where that is?

EntityLiving.updatePotionEffects();

BEWARE OF GOD

---

Co-author of Pentachoron Labs' SBFP Tech.

Thank you, it works just the way I wanted it to! Here's the final code or the spawning:

{
	Random rand = new Random();
	{
		par2World.spawnParticle("reddust", par3EntityPlayer.posX + (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)par3EntityPlayer.width, par3EntityPlayer.posY + rand.nextDouble() * (double)par3EntityPlayer.height - (double)par3EntityPlayer.yOffset, par3EntityPlayer.posZ + (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)par3EntityPlayer.width, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);
	}

return par1ItemStack;
}

Modders LOVE thank yous.