Multiple textures on a single item?

Tynarus

Well basically I'm trying to make a more complex weapon system that requires multiple textures for the weapons since I don't feel like creating 100's of images for each weapon combination... Is there any good way to go about this?...

I am not entirely sure that there is a way to "merge" textures in such a way that it allows you to create new ones via code.

You will have to have a texture for each individual item upgrade that you want to be avaliable. Then, you have maybe an integer, lets call it for the sake of this tutorial, textureID. You also need a Icon list, say its called upgradeIcons (all names will become a bit clearer in the code). So textureID is default to 0. So say I put an upgrade on it, the icon for the (say its a sword) that particular upgrade is a paxel texture. Lets also say that that icon has the textureID of 1. So when the player upgrades the item to that paxel, the textureID also gets set to 1 displaying the correct texture. Simplified version would be this (in my simplified code, there will only be one upgrade. And I am also assuming that you have a way of saving data about the item in the form of NBT, so create the needed things for textureID to be stored in the items NBT data).

The code:

// your item code blah blah blah
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
private Icon[] upgradeIcons = new Icon[2];

private int textureID = 0;

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister par1IconRegister) {
    // Register each Icon here BEFORE the switch statement.
    this.upgradeIcons[0] = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("MOD_ID:" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5);
    this.upgradeIcons[1] = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("MOD_ID:" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5) + "Paxel";

// You should get the gist of this switch statement
    switch(this.textureID) {
        case 1:
            this.itemIcon = this.upgradeIcons[1];
            break;
        default:
            this.itemIcon = this.upgradeIcons[0];
            break;
    }
}
// rest of your item code blah blah blah

Hopefully that helps, but it may not quite be what your looking for, if its not, well then. I wasted some of my life :D

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

I am not entirely sure that there is a way to "merge" textures in such a way that it allows you to create new ones via code.

You will have to have a texture for each individual item upgrade that you want to be avaliable. Then, you have maybe an integer, lets call it for the sake of this tutorial, textureID. You also need a Icon list, say its called upgradeIcons (all names will become a bit clearer in the code). So textureID is default to 0. So say I put an upgrade on it, the icon for the (say its a sword) that particular upgrade is a paxel texture. Lets also say that that icon has the textureID of 1. So when the player upgrades the item to that paxel, the textureID also gets set to 1 displaying the correct texture. Simplified version would be this (in my simplified code, there will only be one upgrade. And I am also assuming that you have a way of saving data about the item in the form of NBT, so create the needed things for textureID to be stored in the items NBT data).

The code:

// your item code blah blah blah
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
private Icon[] upgradeIcons = new Icon[2];

private int textureID = 0;

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister par1IconRegister) {
    // Register each Icon here BEFORE the switch statement.
    this.upgradeIcons[0] = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("MOD_ID:" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5);
    this.upgradeIcons[1] = par1IconRegister.registerIcon("MOD_ID:" + this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5) + "Paxel";

// You should get the gist of this switch statement
    switch(this.textureID) {
        case 1:
            this.itemIcon = this.upgradeIcons[1];
            break;
        default:
            this.itemIcon = this.upgradeIcons[0];
            break;
    }
}
// rest of your item code blah blah blah

Hopefully that helps, but it may not quite be what your looking for, if its not, well then. I wasted some of my life :D

Things I already know, but thanks for trying at least. :P Making all of the images for these would make the mod download quite erm... Large... Due to the amount of customization choices there are, sadly. Though I wanted to make it more interesting and actually have the weapon visually change depending on what you have equipped to it.

I thought that would be the case :( Oh well, some

If you want to make it more interesting like that, make a model for the item and make ALL the extensions included in that one model, then have if statements around each extension checking to see if that extension is installed. That would be how I would do it.

You may have to look into texture manipulating...

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

I thought that would be the case :( Oh well, some

If you want to make it more interesting like that, make a model for the item and make ALL the extensions included in that one model, then have if statements around each extension checking to see if that extension is installed. That would be how I would do it.

You may have to look into texture manipulating...

Maybe, though I was thinking of using basic Java to physically combine and save the images whenever a custom weapon is made, so as to avoid the actual download being huge but... Still, seems "meh", you know?

The download shouldn't be too big.. But yes, I do like your idea. The only problem I see with that though is that you would need a new folder to be created in say the config folder or somewhere like that so as to avoid people finding to have those new combined textures stored in.

I also don't see how the file would be that big download wise. I mean, if you zip it first it should technically not be that big, also reducing the size is the fact that the images are .png's. It shouldn't be that big. It only gets really big if you have at least 200+ items that do this.

The download shouldn't be too big.. But yes, I do like your idea. The only problem I see with that though is that you would need a new folder to be created in say the config folder or somewhere like that so as to avoid people finding to have those new combined textures stored in.

I also don't see how the file would be that big download wise. I mean, if you zip it first it should technically not be that big, also reducing the size is the fact that the images are .png's. It shouldn't be that big. It only gets really big if you have at least 200+ items that do this.

There may end up being that many textures, that's the thing. xD There are quiiiiite a few combinations... O.o

Trying to work on this ResourceLocation stuff on the 1.6.1 release though, no idea where to be putting my textures now... Among many other problems including a Forge bug to do with tool materials. :L