[1.15.2] Change player name in Tab List (Player List)

Babatunde

Hi everyone,

I want to add a suffix to every players name, but I cant get it to work.

I'm doing it like this:

@SubscribeEvent
public void onNameFormat(PlayerEvent.NameFormat event) {
    if (event.getEntity() instanceof PlayerEntity) {
        event.setDisplayname(event.getUsername() + " test");
    }
}

If I use

event.getDisplayname()

it shows the name + test, but it doesn't change on the tab list. 

Do I need to somehow update the tab list for it to work or am I doing it completely wrong?

Thanks!

That doesn't seem to work for me 🤔

This is what I got rn:

public class ChangeTabListEvents {

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onNameFormat(PlayerEvent.NameFormat event) {
            event.setDisplayname(event.getUsername() + " (" + event.getPlayer().getMaxHealth() + ")");
            event.getEntity().sendMessage(new KeybindTextComponent("NameFormat event fired."));
        }
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onPlayerLogin(EntityJoinWorldEvent event) {
            PlayerEntity player = (PlayerEntity) event.getEntity();
            if (player.getServer() != null) {
                ForgeEventFactory.getPlayerDisplayName(player, player.getGameProfile().getName());
                player.getServer().getPlayerList().sendPacketToAllPlayers(new SPlayerListItemPacket(SPlayerListItemPacket.Action.UPDATE_DISPLAY_NAME));
                player.sendMessage(new KeybindTextComponent("Display name updated."));
            }
        }
    }
}

image.png.9e57ad8165bcfa5a3b89acb8f04a8111.png

So, I've looked at reflection together with a friend of mine, but we could get it to work. 

We now have this:

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onPlayerLogin(EntityJoinWorldEvent event) {
            PlayerEntity player = (PlayerEntity) event.getEntity();
                ForgeEventFactory.getPlayerDisplayName(player, player.getGameProfile().getName());
                try {
                    Field field = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SPlayerListItemPacket.class, "field_179769_b");
                } catch (Throwable e) {
                    e.printStackTrace();
                }
                player.getServer().getPlayerList().sendPacketToAllPlayers(new SPlayerListItemPacket(SPlayerListItemPacket.Action.UPDATE_DISPLAY_NAME, (ServerPlayerEntity) player));
            }
        }
    }

field_179769_b = players from:

private final List<SPlayerListItemPacket.AddPlayerData> players = Lists.newArrayList();

from the SPlayerListItemPacket class. That is the entries you were talking about right?

But we don't know wat to do now.

P.S. I'm still using the ForgeEventFactory because getDisplayname() wouldn't fire the even for some reason...

Help would be much apriciated, thanks.

Edited by Babatunde

It looks like you will need to use reflection twice.

After you create the packet object, you will need to access SPlayerListItemPacket#players. SPlayerListItem#getEntries() only exists on the client, so you won't be able to use this.

The elements of the list (of type SPlayerListItemPacket.AddPlayerData) contain a private 'displayName' member, which you will also need access to. (I would advise creating the Field objects in a static context instead of every EntityJoinWorldEvent, to save performance).

Iterate through all the objects in the list and set their display names accordingly - although from your code it looks like there should only be one object in the list.

20 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

You need to call refreshDisplayName if you want the event to be fired again when calling getDisplayName again. This is explained in the event's documentation.

refreshDisplayName is from 1.12.2. A lot is the documentation is outdated.

Probably better to use PlayerLoggedInEvent.

Thanks, I forgot that existed.

You need to get the entries from the packet you create and forcibly set the display name property inside there.

I'm sorry, I've never worked with packets before. is there a tutorial or documentation on how to create packets?

17 hours ago, coalbricks said:

(I would advise creating the Field objects in a static context instead of every EntityJoinWorldEvent, to save performance)

Thanks for the tip.

17 hours ago, coalbricks said:

After you create the packet object

How do I do this tho?

8 hours ago, Babatunde said:

How do I do this tho?

You've already done it, here:

new SPlayerListItemPacket(SPlayerListItemPacket.Action.UPDATE_DISPLAY_NAME, (ServerPlayerEntity) player)

A packet is just a bit of data that is sent between two or more computers over a network. Usually you don't have to manually send packets because Minecraft takes care of this for you for standard vanilla gameplay, but in this case I think it's the best solution. You can dig around the 'net.minecraft.network' or 'net.minecraft.network.play' packages to look at some example packet implementations; AFAIK there isn't any documentation on them. What IDE are you using?

Edited by coalbricks

6 hours ago, coalbricks said:

What IDE are you using?

Intellij IDEA Ultimate.

6 hours ago, coalbricks said:

You've already done it, here:

Oh nice! completely forgot about that line lmao.

This is what I've got so far, I'm kinda stuck because I have no idea what to do:

public class ChangeTabListEvents {

private final Field fieldPlayers = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SPlayerListItemPacket.class, "field_179769_b");
    private final Field fieldDisplayName = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SPlayerListItemPacket.AddPlayerData.class, "field_179965_e");

@SubscribeEvent
    public void onPlayerLogin(PlayerEvent.PlayerLoggedInEvent event) {
        PlayerEntity player = event.getPlayer();
            try {

} catch (Throwable e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
            }
            player.getServer().getPlayerList().sendPacketToAllPlayers(new SPlayerListItemPacket(SPlayerListItemPacket.Action.UPDATE_DISPLAY_NAME, (ServerPlayerEntity) player));
        }
    }
}

Do I need to get the list somehow, or do I need to make my own and set my list as the players list? 

And why do I need the 'displayName'?

Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it!

Edited by Babatunde