How to generate structures 1.16.4?

AdleyMD

Hello, guys.

I'm new to modding but I know how to code in Java. The problem I have is that I don't find tutorials/guides on how to generate structures for 1.16.4. Until now, all I did was trying to understand and copy only the necessary parts of code from other mods (looking at their github repos). However, that's not quite working either, because sometimes some lines of their code doesn't work for me (i.e trying to access an attribute from Structure class which, in my project, is private. I'm not sure if this has to do with the versions of forge).

Anyway, I feel a little lost trying to understand things by myself. Another issue I have right now is that, when I try to register a new structure, every time I run the game and click on "Single Player", the game crashes. I'm not sharing code because, almost surely, the code is simply not correct (I registered as the forge docs said, I don't know if this speciffic problem is caused by that)...

So, I'm asking you where or what should I look, what would be a good approach when trying to learn how stuff works, even if there isn't sufficient documentation about it... Right now I'm focusing on structures, but I would like to be able to understand and create any other thing I want, without having to copy code from other projects xD

Thank you in advance.

Edited by AdleyMD
Already moved to the correct subforum

51 minutes ago, AdleyMD said:

(i.e trying to access an attribute from Structure class which, in my project, is private. I'm not sure if this has to do with the versions of forge).

Probably not, it was exposed using access transformers most likely.

52 minutes ago, AdleyMD said:

So, I'm asking you where or what should I look, what would be a good approach when trying to learn how stuff works, even if there isn't sufficient documentation about it... Right now I'm focusing on structures, but I would like to be able to understand and create any other thing I want, without having to copy code from other projects xD

I would say that TelepathicGrunt has a good explanation on how to do this. This should be lax enough so you don't have to copy anything directly but provide enough information on what certain methods do and how to properly use them.

• Thanks 1