(1.16.2) Inside a new capability

e2rifia

LazyOptional<T> is used for a return value. How can I cast the output to LazyOptional?

public class IHaveMana implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBT> {
    @CapabilityInject(IState.class)
    public static final Capability<IState> STATE_CAPABILITY = null;

private IState instance = STATE_CAPABILITY.getDefaultInstance();

@Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(Capability<T> capability, Direction side) {
        return capability == STATE_CAPABILITY ? STATE_CAPABILITY.<T>cast(this.instance) : null;    //this part.
    }

//override, override, override...

}

I usually do it like this:

return STATE_CAPABILITY.orEmpty(capability, LazyOptional.of(() -> instance));

EDIT:

This is the simple but very wrong answer! As diesieben07 points out further down in the thread, you should absolutely cache the LazyOptional in a field to avoid creating a new LazyOptional every time getCapability() is called.

Edited by vemerion
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

There is no point providing a "simple solution" which looks like "just copy this and you'll be fine" if that solution is blatantly wrong and you don't even mention what is wrong about it.

You are right. I opted for the easy and wrong answer, and then tried to explain it away. I have updated my original answer, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me!

47 minutes ago, e2rifia said:

Is (LazyOptional)instance better?

What you should do is change the type of your instance field to the type LazyOptional<IState>, which you should initialize to LazyOptional.of(() -> STATE_CAPABILITY.getDefaultInstance()), to avoid creating a new LazyOptional every time getCapability() is called. Note that you might have to slightly change some of your other methods to accommodate for the fact that instance now is a LazyOptional.

Here is another thread which also discusses why you should cache the capability. I would also recommend taking a look at the LazyOptional class (easiest done via your IDE), since it includes a lot of documentation about why/how it is used.

• Like 1