Forge Server Setup for MC 1.6.1

Spoiler is the problem I had.

Please tell me how to get Forge AND mods working on a 1.6.1 server.

1.5.2 advice will be fired out the window of a 27 story building.

I am running Windows operating systems.

I have the latest Java installed.

I even managed to make mods that work in the client, that should (theoretically) work on the server.

I'm tired after taking several hours to figure out server side installation, so if someone has the answers, please tell me.

So now that I know how to install Forge for MineCraft 1.6.1, I'm going to share!

1. Download the latest Forge Installer build from: http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?action=files

So you know, I'm using build 8.9.0.762 or higher.

2. Install by double clicking the installer JAR, select Install Server. You will see a red box, click the button with three(3) dots to browse to an empty folder (or your server folder that you are going to use).

3. Press OK

4. Create a run.bat file

5. Using a text editor like Notepad, I use Notepad++ because I can and it works, open the run.bat

Enter:

java -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -jar minecraftforge-universal-(Version).jar

NOTE: if the server does not run, and the command window closes on you, on a new line in run.bat type "pause" without quotes.

6. The server will now generate more files and folders, including the \mods folder for your mods to go.

NOTE: I did all this in an empty folder, then copied what I was missing in my actual server from the folder I installed Forge into, keeping in mind to replace the minecraft_server.jar file with the one Forge downloaded for me to assure working status.

7. Edit your server.properties file as normal, for those doing totally fresh servers, and remember mods in the \mods folder.

Enjoy.

IF YOU HAVE TO MODIFY THE MINECRAFT SERVER 1.6 FILE YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!! This includes changing it from "minecraft_server.(version).jar" to "minecraft_server.jar". DO NOT DO IT!!!

Thanks to luacs1998 for his help

and LexManos for fixing the Forge Build so that it worked.

Run the installer, select "Install server", select an empty folder, profit.

Thank you, and now for a question that may sound really stupid:

After I run the forge universal install, it downloads all the stuff for server (at least I hope it did, didn't give me any error messages), but after running the minecraft_server.jar with my run.bat, I didn't see anything saying forge was loading. now, I tried switching my run.bat to start the Forge-Universal.jar, and the server loads like always, but says nothing about loading forge.

Am I still doing something wrong? because the next thing I notice is people get a forge log generated, and I don't even have one of those yet.

Run the installer, select "Install server", select an empty folder, profit.

Thank you, and now for a question that may sound really stupid:

After I run the forge universal install, it downloads all the stuff for server (at least I hope it did, didn't give me any error messages), but after running the minecraft_server.jar with my run.bat, I didn't see anything saying forge was loading. now, I tried switching my run.bat to start the Forge-Universal.jar, and the server loads like always, but says nothing about loading forge.

Am I still doing something wrong? because the next thing I notice is people get a forge log generated, and I don't even have one of those yet.

I have the same problem. I use the installer to download the necessary files into a blank folder. It downloads 2 jars: a vanilla Minecraft 1.6.1 jar, and a forge universal jar. I drag all of the forge files into the vanilla jar using Winrar, delete META-INF, and run the server using a batch file. The server starts up without error, but I see no sign of forge being implemented.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, as I've set up servers like this without using the installer before.

Humm, seems the installer isn't building the run.bat/sh files.

But let me stress this point:

IF YOU ARE EDTING THE VANILLA JAR IN 1.6 YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG

The installer *should* of made a run.bat that contain the proper java command to launch the server.

But if ti doesn't you can do it yourself.

Grab all *.jar files in libraries and put them in lib {this is because they need to be in a flat directory}

then run:

java -cp lib\*;minecraft_server.1.6.1.jar -jar minecraft-forge-universal-{version}.jar

As i said these things *should* be building the run script for you but i guess it's not. And I will be making the universal jar directly runnable {java -jar universal.jar} soon I just forgot about it.

We're also still finalizing the server install {I could of sworn cpw said ti was done but w/e} So hold up.

Notice how we don't have a RecomendedBuild yet?

But again:

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Humm, seems the installer isn't building the run.bat/sh files.

But let me stress this point:

The installer *should* of made a run.bat that contain the proper java command to launch the server.

Grab all *.jar files in libraries and put them in lib {this is because they need to be in a flat directory}

then run:

java -cp lib\*;minecraft_server.1.6.1.jar -jar minecraft-forge-universal-{version}.jar

As i said these things *should* be building the run script for you but i guess it's not. And I will be making the universal jar directly runnable {java -jar universal.jar} soon I just forgot about it.

We're also still finalizing the server install {I could of sworn cpw said ti was done but w/e} So hold up.

Notice how we don't have a RecomendedBuild yet?

But again:

Yeah, I tried all that, something else must be up.

Here is a list of files that I am actually getting after I move them to \lib:

asm-all-4.1.jar

jopt-simple-4.5.jar

launchwrapper-1.3.jar

lzma-0.0.1.jar

minecraft_server.1.6.1.jar (tried both inside \lib and outside, as forge universal seemed to have trouble locating it, had to have it outside \lib and renamed to minecraft_server.jar for it to work at all)

minecraftforge-universal-1.6.1-8.9.0.761.jar (again, tried both in and out of \lib)

scala-compiler-2.10.2.jar

scala-library-2.10.2.jar

I'mma laugh if other files are still missing...

then run:

Sorry to bug you, but I tried your solution and still cannot get the batch file to run the server.

I downloaded the vanilla jar and forge jar using the latest version of the installer (see http://puu.sh/3u6dS/db0aaf23ce.jpg ). I checked each folder that was created, and I couldn't find a 'lib' folder (or maybe you mean libraries?). I created one and placed both jars inside, nothing else. I also created the batch file you said to make. The batch file would run for a split second, then close, so I added "PAUSE" to the end of the command to see what the issue was (see http://puu.sh/3u6eC/e2768c77d6.jpg and http://puu.sh/3u6hd/4528ed54f9.png).

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the 'lib' folder.

Again, I'm sorry to bother you with my confusion/incompetence. I have patience and hope that you and the team are trying to bring us the most user-friendly experience possible.

Use build 762, cpw neglected to tell me about the change to the installer's manifest.

I've built and tested, the installer makes a server folder just fine.

It does NOT make a run script

But you just need to do java -jar univeral.jar

Time for sleep u.u

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Use build 762, cpw neglected to tell me about the change to the installer's manifest.

I've built and tested, the installer makes a server folder just fine.

It does NOT make a run script

But you just need to do java -jar univeral.jar

Time for sleep u.u

First of all, thank you for making an effort to try and fix our issue here.

Despite using the Forge 8.9.0.762 installer, I still cannot get a server running. The installer still does not make a 'lib' file, and I get the same error if I make a 'lib' folder or put the jars in the 'libraries' folder. The batch file is unable to access the forge jar, regardless of what I do.

I suppose I'll wait until a recommended build is given the OK for use. Thanks in advance for your help ^_^