Textures and LanguageRegistry in preInit instead of Init

sorash67

Hello all modders and possibly, owners of forge! i have been messing around with code to figure out how to fix the issues related to block and item textures, and name registry being "tile.blockName.name" for every block after the 1.6.1 update! As i was modifying my code, i noticed that when the blocks and items are declared in the preInit section of the code rather than the usual place, the Init, textures actually show up! but when in Init, they don't! then i thought why don't i try this for LanguageRegistry as well? and sure enough, the names worked absolutely fine when moved from Init to preInit! If you have any suggestions or ideas about why this is happening, please share! And also, if you need any code, go right ahead and ask, and i will provide the related code! Thank you! :)

-sorash67 || Skorpio

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry bub, I think its a coincidence.  I've got all my code in preInit right now and no dice.

Code for one block:

@EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
    	//System.out.println("Loadnig Redstone Mod");
    	Configuration config = new Configuration(event.getSuggestedConfigurationFile());
    	config.load();
    	//load configs
        fakeID = config.getBlock("FakeBlock", 2000).getInt();
    	config.save();
    	fakeBlock = new FakeBlock(fakeID);

System.out.println("Registering Fake Block");
    		GameRegistry.registerBlock(fakeBlock, "Illusionary Block");
    		LanguageRegistry.addName(fakeBlock, "Illusionary Block");
    		GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(fakeBlock), painting, stone);

int r = RenderingRegistry.getNextAvailableRenderId();
    		ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler handler = new RenderFakeBlock(r);
    		RenderingRegistry.registerBlockHandler(handler);
       		((FakeBlock)fakeBlock).renderType = r;
    		System.out.println(" - " + fakeBlock.getUnlocalizedName());
    		LanguageRegistry.instance().addStringLocalization("tile.Illusionary Block.name", "Illusionary Block");

2013_07_03_09_38_07.png

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

@PreInit
public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event){
	//Config file
	config = new Configuration(event.getSuggestedConfigurationFile());

new MoreOresConfig();

ingotOrange = new ItemGeneralIngot(MoreOresConfig.ingotOrangeID).setUnlocalizedName("ingotOrange").setCreativeTab(orangeTab);

LanguageRegistry.addName(ingotOrange, "Origum Ingot");
}

works perfectly fine! but when i move it over to

@Init
public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event){
}

bam, missing textures and name...

while in preInit:

uxkKM9m.png

and in init:

ZfbgCVB.png

what is going on???

-sorash67 || Skorpio

Wouldn't that seem like that means they need to be setup during the pre-init and be ready Before the init method or else they will not be loaded in time for the methods which depend on them to make use of them? :P

Sounds like a simple solution, load them in the place they should and all is fine? :)

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

that's EXACTLY what i thought! xD the thing is, i tweeted LexManos himself, and he said this is the WRONG thing to do! and i know this too! but it works, and there doesn't seem to be any other solution! so i guess i'll go with it...

-sorash67 || Skorpio

You are wrong it only fixes names not textures.

Then he must have changed more than he said between the screenshots then, since it shows the texture working in the first and not the second one?

i tweeted LexManos himself, and he said this is the WRONG thing to do! and i know this too! but it works

Well that means there are far better ways to do this and that this way might break at a later build.

I have learned to respect lex and I try to follow what he says, tough most is above my skill :P

Anyways it's so early in the development of this forge version and much is speculations instead of facts here on the boards. I guess one should go read the github commitments and code changes along with some re-reading of the src code to understand more.

Or one could wait for the dust to settle and use the time between to fix other stuff for the projects one is working on ;)

Its also possible that I need to get a newer version of Forge, as I've got...756 right now (from early yesterday trying to puzzle this stuff out).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

your texture folder should now be:

assets/yourModName/textures/blocks|items/###.png

rather than:

mods/yourModName/textures/blocks|items/###.png

Doesn't fix the problem for me.

The lack of documentation on this is a shame. Hopefully someone will get round to doing it.

Edit: @PreInit and @Init are now deprecated. Not sure what to do now.

(Resolved - I was not using FMLPreInitializationEvent)

Edit2: @PreInit makes my item non-existant?

Edit3:

2013-07-03 16:44:14 [sEVERE] [DrewLemmy_DontStarveMod] The mod DrewLemmy_DontStarveMod appears to have an invalid method annotation PreInit. This annotation can only apply to methods with argument types [class cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent] -it will not be called

Aspergers is annoying sometimes :(

The lack of documentation on this is a shame. Hopefully someone will get round to doing it.

(Resolved - I was not using FMLPreInitializationEvent)

Edit2: @PreInit makes my item non-existant?

Edit3:

2013-07-03 16:44:14 [sEVERE] [DrewLemmy_DontStarveMod] The mod DrewLemmy_DontStarveMod appears to have an invalid method annotation PreInit. This annotation can only apply to methods with argument types [class cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent] -it will not be called

Replace all three with @EventHandler.  Leave everything else alone.

I'd suggest waiting then, if things don't work out. This is not a recommended release yet.

And about documentation, well you got javadocs and the commit log that's it I guess. That's not perfect but it's better than you can find many other places.

As a programmer you will need to learn not only to write documentation, but to study old code which has no such thing ;) Consider it a learning exercise or wait a week for the dust to settle ;)

Replace all three with @EventHandler.  Leave everything else alone.

Just to make it more clear, with everything he means the parameter inputs as well, so don't change them either!

All I did was move my block name registry to preint and then nothing my texture code is what the tutiral on the wiki says.

Which tutorial?