Spawn Eggs for Entities appear white [1.16.5]

Godis_apan

Hello! For some reason when adding multiple spawn eggs for my entities, only the last one registered renders in the inventory with its proper colors. All eggs registered before the last on appear white and I can't figure out why.

Item register code: https://github.com/Phrille/Vanilla-Boom/blob/master/src/main/java/phrille/vanillaboom/init/ModItems.java

Can't get this to work yet:

public static void addSpawnEgg(IItemProvider item)
    {
        if (item instanceof EntitySpawnItem) 
        {
            EntitySpawnItem egg = (EntitySpawnItem) item;

try
            {
                Field field = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SpawnEggItem.class, "field_195987_b");
                Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem> map = (Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem>) field.get(null);
                map.put(egg.getType(null), egg);
            }
            catch (IllegalAccessException | IllegalArgumentException e)
            {
                throw new RuntimeException("Could not add " + item.asItem().getRegistryName().toString() + " to spawn eggs map", e);
            }
        }
    }

This is called from FMLCommonSetup:

event.enqueueWork(() ->
        {
            Utils.addSpawnEgg(ModItems.PERCH_SPAWN_EGG);
            Utils.addSpawnEgg(ModItems.EEL_SPAWN_EGG);
            Utils.addSpawnEgg(ModItems.PIKE_SPAWN_EGG);
            Utils.addSpawnEgg(ModItems.TUNA_SPAWN_EGG);
            Utils.addSpawnEgg(ModItems.SWAMP_DWELLER_SPAWN_EGG);
        });

3 hours ago, Godis_apan said:

Field field = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SpawnEggItem.class, "field_195987_b"); Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem> map = (Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem>) field.get(null);

Just store the map as a map with one reflection, this is just unnecessary.

Use breakpoints to determine whether or not the entries are being put in the map. Also, the null entry within the map should be removed afterwards.

Okay! Checked with breakpoints and as far as I could tell the map is modified but still no result. What am I doing wrong here?

public static final Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem> EGG_MAP = Maps.newHashMap();

public static void addSpawnEggs()
    {
        try
        {
            Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem> map = (Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem>) ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findField(SpawnEggItem.class, "field_195987_b").get(null);
            map.keySet().removeIf(Objects::isNull);
            map.putAll(EGG_MAP);
        }
        catch (IllegalAccessException | IllegalArgumentException e)
        {
            throw new RuntimeException("Failed to spawn eggs to map", e);
        }
    }

Edited by Godis_apan

I'm sorry to be such a dum-dum here but I can't see how I would do this. Wouldn't this be better to do with ATs? Or is that bad? Thanks for the help it's very much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Godis_apan said:

Wouldn't this be better to do with ATs?

Not really, you are only using the value once so it'd be a waste to AT into the field. As I've mentioned, use ObfuscationReflectionHelper::getPrivateValue and store the map. Then, do the required operations on the map itself. Since we're changing the elements the map refers to, we can just store the overarching object.

Okay Im using that method now but how do I store the map? Do I need to use setPrivateValue afterwards?

Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem> map = (Map<EntityType<?>, SpawnEggItem>) ObfuscationReflectionHelper.getPrivateValue(SpawnEggItem.class, null, "field_195987_b");
            map.keySet().removeIf(Objects::isNull);
            map.putAll(EGG_MAP);

Okay so I debugged this and it seems that the ItemColors registers before I reflect into the map. When I added a breakpoint in the ItemColors only the last egg I added showed up in the for loop where SpawnEggItem#getEggs() gets called. But when I run the same for loop after my reflection has taken place my entities also shows up. So how do I reflect into the map before ItemColors are registered?  

https://github.com/Phrille/Vanilla-Boom/blob/master/src/main/java/phrille/vanillaboom/util/Utils.java

Edited by Godis_apan