Problems with Havvy's Basic Modding Tutorial [1.6.1]

foul_owl

Reading through that crash report, it seems as though you are using the method "preloadTexture(String texture)"? If you are, I would suggest getting rid of it. I may actually (considering this is the second time now) update that tutorial... Hmmm... Ill get back to you on that one.

But yeah, preloadTexture(String texture) is no longer "valid". Minecraft/forge no longer uses that to load the texture into memory. It does that via the icon registry in the block/item class.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Yep, it was choking on MinecraftForgeClient.preloadTexture(String texture). Commented out those lines, builds fine.

I think the idea behind the tutorial is to just get something added, compiled, and working. How should we change that tutorial for 1.6.1 so that at least one very basic line of code is executed?

I was thinking about replacing those two lines with System.out.print("Hello world"); but....maybe there is something more Minecraft-centric that would make more sense ;)

I'm also going to complete that tutorial series and document everything that needs to be changed.

Thanks!

I'm also going to complete that tutorial series and document everything that needs to be changed.

Thanks!

Please give me that documentation. I am fixing some stuff up now :D

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Check out my other thread, I had a few things highlighted. The tutorials are really good, they just need a few corrections... I think additional explanations / comments / clarifications are always welcome of course...

On the basic blocks tutorial, I think the Generic.Ore class is missing a

import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IconRegister;

at the beginning.

Thanks!

Please give me that documentation. I am fixing some stuff up now :D

er, my plan was to do that next week. :) I'll let you know if I find anything that doesn't work for me. Cheers!!