[SOLVED] 1.16.3 How to get the World Name for saving files in the /saves folder

Zeher_Monkey

Hi,

I am updating some of my mods, and I store config files in the "/saves/WORLDNAME/" folder. I am having trouble getting this folder name at the moment.

In 1.12.2 the code to get this was:

FMLCommonHandler.instance().getMinecraftServerInstance().getFolderName()

However I'm struggling to find the equivalent in 1.16.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Zeher_Monkey

18 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Forge's config system has this built in using the ModConfig.Type.SERVER config type.

Okay thanks, can these be changed dynamically with a world? 

Basically I am storing a LinkedHashMap with a BlockPos as the Key, and a custom Classfile as the value. When a block is placed down a new instance of the Customfile.class is created and added to the map, with that blocks BlockPos as the key, and the map is stored within the "/saves/WORLDNAME/mymod/" folder. I am assuming that Forge's config system is not the best system to use with my use-case.

Edited by Zeher_Monkey

16 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

That is not a config file at all. That's a data file. Use WorldSavedData or a world capability.

Many thanks for your help, although the ForgeDocs seem to be outdated, as I could not find reference to:

World#getMapStorage()

Anywhere in the actual code in Forges latest release for 1.16.3.

I really do not want to enter the capability rabbit hole, as I have had major trouble getting packets to work in the past. I instead reviewed some other posts, and following your guidance on those posts have resorted to using this code, which works on both the client and server side:

Object save = ObfuscationReflectionHelper.getPrivateValue(MinecraftServer.class, server, "field_71310_m");

if (save instanceof SaveFormat.LevelSave) {
	String save_name = ((LevelSave) save).getSaveName();

file_path.append(save_name);

System.out.println("File: [" + fileName + "] Accessed for World: [" + save_name + "]");
}

I am aware that its not a great way of doing it, but I have a robust system for saving and reading from files, which I have been using for a long while now.

11 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Or, you know, you could just use WorldSavedData which is known to be robust, has a way more compact data format than JSON and doesn't require you to reengineer things whenever a new game update comes out...

Very true, but to be honest my code only needed a few lines updated. I want to move to something more native, but am struggling to find references to WorldSavedData. I am not worried about compact data, there is only 1 master file which contains each registered object, and each object is only ~3KB in size. It allows easy debugging, and on servers specifically, tweaks to the data that do not require things like NBTExplorer to use. It works for my purposes.