Block Rotate

ehbean

I've been making some blocks in my mod, and I need the blocks to face a certain direction when placed, in a similar way to how a column/pillar will allow you to place it sideways so its top is facing the player. I've found some tutorials online, but they either don't work, or I'm given errors that I can't resolve. I'll post the code of what I've got so far.

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.block.HorizontalBlock;
import net.minecraft.block.SoundType;
import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.data.BlockModelFields.Rotation;
import net.minecraft.item.BlockItemUseContext;
import net.minecraft.state.DirectionProperty;
import net.minecraft.state.StateContainer;
import net.minecraft.util.Mirror;
import net.minecraftforge.common.ToolType;

public class CoralPillar extends Block {

private static final DirectionProperty FACING = HorizontalBlock.HORIZONTAL_FACING;

public CoralPillar() {
		super(Block.Properties.create(Material.CORAL)
				.hardnessAndResistance(1.0f, 6.0f)
				.sound(SoundType.STONE)
				.harvestLevel(1)
				.harvestTool(ToolType.PICKAXE));
	}

@Override
	public BlockState getStateForPlacement(BlockItemUseContext context) {
		return this.getDefaultState().with(FACING, context.getPlacementHorizontalFacing().getOpposite());
	}

public BlockState rotate(BlockState state, Rotation rot) {
		return state.with(FACING, rot.rotate(state.get(FACING)));
	}

@Override
	public BlockState mirror(BlockState state, Mirror mirrorIn) {
		return state.rotate(mirrorIn.toRotation(state.get(FACING)));
	}

@Override
	protected void fillStateContainer(StateContainer.Builder<Block, BlockState> builder) {
		builder.add(FACING);
	}
}

The error I'm getting is on line 34, reading "The method rotate(state.get(FACING)) is undefined for the type BlockModelFields.Rotation". I feel like the solution is simple, but I can't figure it out,

19 minutes ago, ehbean said:

The error I'm getting is on line 34, reading "The method rotate(state.get(FACING)) is undefined for the type BlockModelFields.Rotation". I feel like the solution is simple, but I can't figure it out,

the method is wrong yes you have to change it to this one (edit: the reason why you get the error you are using the wrong import)

@Override
	public BlockState rotate(BlockState state, net.minecraft.util.Rotation rot) {
	}

and you never set the default state in the block constructor

you have to add:

this.setDefaultState(this.stateContainer.getBaseState().with(FACING, Direction.NORTH));

and if you want to create a block that works like the quartz pillar,

then change the class that your block extends to RotatedPillarBlock so you don't have to overwrite the methods for the rotation

Edited by Luis_ST

31 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

the method is correct but you never set the default state in the block constructor

you have to add:

this.setDefaultState(this.stateContainer.getBaseState().with(FACING, Direction.NORTH));

then change the class that your block extends to RotatedPillarBlock so you don't have to overwrite the methods for the rotation

So adding that line "this.setDefaultState...." to the public BlockState rotate method doesn't seem to get ride of that error there, but I can avoid even needing to override those four methods by changing "CoralPillar extends Blocks" to "CoralPillar extends RotatedPillarBlock"? Wouldn't I need to change how that is loaded during registry so it doesn't crash?

you can look at how vanilla blocks that can be oriented implement that, I've looked at the furnace implementation when I learned it. in this case you should look at the quartz pillar block, or any log block

Edited by kiou.23

36 minutes ago, Luis_ST said:

the method is wrong yes you have to change it to this one (edit: the reason why you get the error you are using the wrong import)

@Override
	public BlockState rotate(BlockState state, net.minecraft.util.Rotation rot) {
	}

and you never set the default state in the block constructor

you have to add:

don't give people copy'n'paste code, especially without any explanation as to way they should copy and paste

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

you can look at how vanilla blocks that can be oriented implement that, I've looked at the furnace implementation when I learned it. in this case you should look at the quartz pillar block, or any log block

I feel like looking at those files would be greatly beneficial. Where would I find those?

18 minutes ago, ehbean said:

I feel like looking at those files would be greatly beneficial. Where would I find those?

in your own IDE you can search for the blocks.

in IntelliJ you can use Ctrl + N, and type the name of the class you're looking for (RotatedPillarBlock, it's the class the logs use)

in Eclipse I think it is Ctrl + Shift + T, but I'm not sure

note that the vanilla and forge classes we'll be read-only, you can't edit them

• Thanks 1

(Eclipse) F4 on any class name will open the type hierarchy (so if you did it on Block, you'd see all the subclasses, and if you did it on HorizontalBlock, you'd only see the subclasses of that). I can never remember the "go to definition" hotkey (it's F12 in Visual Studio, because of course I can remember that one), but hovering over a thing will give you an intellisense popup and clicking on the class identifier in that will do the same thing.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

25 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

in your own IDE you can search for the blocks.

in IntelliJ you can use Ctrl + N, and type the name of the class you're looking for (RotatedPillarBlock, it's the class the logs use)

in Eclipse I think it is Ctrl + Shift + T, but I'm not sure

note that the vanilla and forge classes we'll be read-only, you can't edit them

I'm using Eclipse, and that is the right key shortcut. Just gotta figure out how to get this to work now. Copy pasting the variables, and methods doesn't' seem to work outright so I'll need to do some tweaking. 

4 hours ago, ehbean said:

I'm using Eclipse, and that is the right key shortcut. Just gotta figure out how to get this to work now. Copy pasting the variables, and methods doesn't' seem to work outright so I'll need to do some tweaking. 

That's usually the case, always try to understand the code before copy and pasting, or else you'll get a lot of headaches later in the code's life ;)

• Thanks 1