Question about itemstack capabilities of crafting results

Tavi007

Hey,

I stumbled across a bug in my mod, when using the workbench (and presumably any other sort of crafting station). I have an itemstack capability, that gets its default value through json files. So usually when the AttachCapabilityEvent<ItemStack> triggers, I can succesfully add these values to the item. However when the result slot in the workbench container updates to a new item, the attach event does not trigger and the capability stays empty.

I added a hook using ItemCraftedEvent, so the values are being set, when the crafting results gets picked up, but I also added some costum tooltips, that displays the capability data. So currently it will not show any of my data, when the mouse hovers above the crafting result. Only after picking it up, the correct data can be seen. This might confuse the player, so I would like to know, if there is method for setting the default values the moment the resulting stack is generated.

Also I fear, that the ItemCraftedEvent does not trigger for machines from other mods. This would mean, that it would be possible to create itemstacks with incorrect capability data.

I hope my explanation is clear enough. If not, I can add some pictures to show you, what I mean. :)

just two maps and two strings. I use json files, so anyone can override them with datapacks. Basically each item, that should have default values, also has a corresponding json file. (if an item does not have a corresponding json file, then it will get default default values.)

The information in the files are loaded into a Map<ResourceLocation, DataFromJson> once when the server starts, so i can get them whenever i need them. When the attach event (or the item craft event) trigger i resolve the resourceLocation, get the DataFromJson and then set the itemstack capability. As long as the Map doesn't get humongous, this method shouldn't be a performance issure.

Hmm, I already thought, that it would work like this. I guess, that the itemstack in the result slot gets created as an air item. Therefor the attachCapability event gets triggered with an air item and the default default values will be used. So what happens with the result stack, when I place the last iron ingot for crafting an iron sword and the result slot gets updated? And how could I detect that exact moment?

Ah, so whenever I craft an item, the values, that were set in attachCapability will be overriden by the desirialized cpability from the old stack (which was an air item). That explains the bug.

I could change the constructor of my capabilities to use ItemStack and then read from my Map<ResourceLocation, DataFromJson> in there, but I don't see, how this will solve the bug.

Okay, got it. I think, I can use the AttackDataAPI and DefenseDataAPI classes for this, because I (and anyone else) should always use these to interact with my capabilities.Or would this be bad practice?

Thank you for your help anyway :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • Update your AMD/ATI drivers - get the drivers from their website - do not update via system  
    • As the title says i keep on crashing on forge 1.20.1 even without any mods downloaded, i have the latest drivers (nvidia) and vanilla minecraft works perfectly fine for me logs: https://pastebin.com/5UR01yG9
    • Hello everyone, I'm making this post to seek help for my modded block, It's a special block called FrozenBlock supposed to take the place of an old block, then after a set amount of ticks, it's supposed to revert its Block State, Entity, data... to the old block like this :  The problem I have is that the system breaks when handling multi blocks (I tried some fix but none of them worked) :  The bug I have identified is that the function "setOldBlockFields" in the item's "setFrozenBlock" function gets called once for the 1st block of multiblock getting frozen (as it should), but gets called a second time BEFORE creating the first FrozenBlock with the data of the 1st block, hence giving the same data to the two FrozenBlock :   Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=head] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@73681674 BlockEntityData : id:"minecraft:bed",x:3,y:-60,z:-6} Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=3, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=2, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} here is the code inside my custom "freeze" item :    @Override     public @NotNull InteractionResult useOn(@NotNull UseOnContext pContext) {         if (!pContext.getLevel().isClientSide() && pContext.getHand() == InteractionHand.MAIN_HAND) {             BlockPos blockPos = pContext.getClickedPos();             BlockPos secondBlockPos = getMultiblockPos(blockPos, pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos));             if (secondBlockPos != null) {                 createFrozenBlock(pContext, secondBlockPos);             }             createFrozenBlock(pContext, blockPos);             return InteractionResult.SUCCESS;         }         return super.useOn(pContext);     }     public static void createFrozenBlock(UseOnContext pContext, BlockPos blockPos) {         BlockState oldState = pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos);         BlockEntity oldBlockEntity = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? pContext.getLevel().getBlockEntity(blockPos) : null;         CompoundTag oldBlockEntityData = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? oldBlockEntity.serializeNBT() : null;         if (oldBlockEntity != null) {             pContext.getLevel().removeBlockEntity(blockPos);         }         BlockState FrozenBlock = setFrozenBlock(oldState, oldBlockEntity, oldBlockEntityData);         pContext.getLevel().setBlockAndUpdate(blockPos, FrozenBlock);     }     public static BlockState setFrozenBlock(BlockState blockState, @Nullable BlockEntity blockEntity, @Nullable CompoundTag blockEntityData) {         BlockState FrozenBlock = BlockRegister.FROZEN_BLOCK.get().defaultBlockState();         ((FrozenBlock) FrozenBlock.getBlock()).setOldBlockFields(blockState, blockEntity, blockEntityData);         return FrozenBlock;     }  
    • It is an issue with quark - update it to this build: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/quark/files/3642325
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.