[1.16.5] Villager Trades - Items Always In List

Nuke3d

I have been able to populate my alternate trades into the villager trade lists. Now I want to see if certain trades can always be available(the max uses will still be enforced, but I want them to always be in the list.) Is there any way to do this? Also, I want to remove most of the emerald trades. I *think* the best way to do this is in the trade initialization process to spin through event.getTrades().get() for each skill level of the trade and remove the ones I don't want. Just want to make sure I'm doing it the best way. Source at https://github.com/nuke3d/NukesEcon if interested.

29 minutes ago, Nuke3d said:

I have been able to populate my alternate trades into the villager trade lists. Now I want to see if certain trades can always be available(the max uses will still be enforced, but I want them to always be in the list.) Is there any way to do this?

If I understand correctly you want to replace the vanilla trades,

if this is the case, create a new list for each trade level and return it

here is an example i didn't replace the trades but create new ones for my own professions. but is the same way you have to use:

https://github.com/Luis-st/Forge-1.16.5-36.0.1-mdk/blob/main/forge-1.16.5-36.0.1-mdk/src/main/java/net/luis/cave/events/villager/OnMinerTradesEvent.java

Edited by Luis_ST

Well, it's a little more than that. Maybe my understanding is not correct, but I thought the list of trades were possible trades, but they were not all offered every time. For instance, the unmodifed level 1 farmer trades are wheat, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, and bread, but not all of those appear as a trade when clicking on the villager every time. I haven't followed the code but I assume there is something that causes only some of those to appear on the list. I guess I need to learn what causes it and figure out how to get certain items to appear on the list every day. (The concept is to make, for example, a blacksmith to always be able to sell some iron ingots every day.)

Sorry if that was not more clear.

Edited by Nuke3d

37 minutes ago, Nuke3d said:

Well, it's a little more than that. Maybe my understanding is not correct, but I thought the list of trades were possible trades, but they were not all offered every time. For instance, the unmodifed level 1 farmer trades are wheat, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, and bread, but not all of those appear as a trade when clicking on the villager every time. I haven't followed the code but I assume there is something that causes only some of those to appear on the list. I guess I need to learn what causes it and figure out how to get certain items to appear on the list every day. (The concept is to make, for example, a blacksmith to always be able to sell some iron ingots every day.)

okay i guess you didn't understand correctly how villager choose their tardes.

Each villager has an ITrade list for each level, from which the villager randomly selects two trades.

if you want the villager to always have the same trades you have to remove the existing ones from the list and then you can add a maximum of two trades to this list.

if you want the villager to have more than two trades per level you have to overwrite the vanilla villager and change the trade system so that it shows more or all trades from the list

Alright, that is something I'll have to put off until later then as it sounds like quite a bit of work. For now, just removing the vanilla emerald trades will work. Would be great if forge allowed us more control over the trades, or even made another event the fired after the trades were chosen that let us modify the final list but I digress. Thank you!

Going to bump this as I just want to confirm something I *think* I know, but perhaps my Java-fu is not strong enough.

I am trying to modify the list of trades for a villager type by removing any trade that involves emeralds, which should be the great majority of vanilla trades. During init I can get the trades. I can see each one, but they appear to be just a pointer to the object that implements ITrade for that trade. That being the case, I cannot actually see an actual trade to see if Emeralds are involved, so I can't delete the trade based on that. I don't want to just clear the trades and populate my own because that would not play nicely with other mods that might have added trades involving emeralds, which I don't want to do. Further, I am not totally certain that vanilla doesn't have any non-emerald trades(I've never seen any, but I haven't traded a ton), but if there are some, or if a future version adds them, I don't want to delete those. Just the annoyingly expensive vanilla emerald trades, which are being replaced with much more sensible ones.

Add this point it appears to me that it's all or nothing, and I'll have to just be content with adding my trades for now until my Java skills are up to the task of figuring out how to override the vanilla villager/trade system. If there is some other way then please let me know, otherwise, I will be content with what I have for now and move on to the next part of my mod. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Nuke3d said:

Going to bump this as I just want to confirm something I *think* I know, but perhaps my Java-fu is not strong enough.

I am trying to modify the list of trades for a villager type by removing any trade that involves emeralds, which should be the great majority of vanilla trades. During init I can get the trades. I can see each one, but they appear to be just a pointer to the object that implements ITrade for that trade. That being the case, I cannot actually see an actual trade to see if Emeralds are involved, so I can't delete the trade based on that. I don't want to just clear the trades and populate my own because that would not play nicely with other mods that might have added trades involving emeralds, which I don't want to do. Further, I am not totally certain that vanilla doesn't have any non-emerald trades(I've never seen any, but I haven't traded a ton), but if there are some, or if a future version adds them, I don't want to delete those. Just the annoyingly expensive vanilla emerald trades, which are being replaced with much more sensible ones.

Add this point it appears to me that it's all or nothing, and I'll have to just be content with adding my trades for now until my Java skills are up to the task of figuring out how to override the vanilla villager/trade system. If there is some other way then please let me know, otherwise, I will be content with what I have for now and move on to the next part of my mod. Thanks!

okay if you want to remove the emerald trades from the list

there is the possibility that i have already explained to you to overwrite the villager and the trade function.

There is another possibility but I haven't tested it myself and I don't know if it works and if is compatible with other mods

you can apply the following explanation to all trades of the villager with a for-each loop (Edit: you cannot use a for-each loop if you remove it in the loop)

with ITrade#getOffer you get the MerchantOffer in which you can get the 1 and 2 buying item, then you can remove the trade

Edited by Luis_ST

I appreciate the ideas. I think it seems too risky to call getOffer during initialization like that.I can see what is being done for Vanilla mobs, but other mod authors might be doing other things with that entity object. Thanks for the ideas though! I will revisit another time.