[1.16.4/1.16.5] [Solved] How to add a custom Trunk Placer Type

killerjdog51

I'm trying to add custom trees to my mod and to do that I need a custom Trunk. The only way to do this is to register my own type using: 

private static <P extends AbstractTrunkPlacer> TrunkPlacerType<P> register(String key, Codec<P> type) {
	      return Registry.register(Registry.TRUNK_REPLACER, key, new TrunkPlacerType<>(type));
	   }

The issue though is that it errors on the new TrunkPlacerType<>(type) saying "Cannot infer type arguments for TrunkPlacerType<>". 

And if I delete TrunkPlacerType<> I get an error on Register.register saying "The method register(Registry<V>, ResourceLocation, T) in the type Registry is not applicable for the arguments (Registry<TrunkPlacerType<?>>, ResourceLocation, Codec<P>)".

My next thought process was to add my Trunk Placer Type to a forge deferred register, except that it doesn't exist. There's a Forge registry for FoliagePlacerType and TreeDecorationType, but not one for TrunkPlacerType. 

So I'm wondering if anyone has an idea that I haven't thought of? 
Like is there a way for me to add my trunk type to the minecraft registry? Or is there a way to create a custom Forge registry/deferred register?

Edited by killerjdog51

8 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Registry.TRUNK_REPLACER != Registry.TRUNK_PLACER_TYPES

Even though the registry has?

public static final Registry<TrunkPlacerType<?>> TRUNK_REPLACER = createRegistry(TRUNK_PLACER_TYPE_KEY, () -> {
      return TrunkPlacerType.STRAIGHT_TRUNK_PLACER;
   });

Thanks, it worked! I generally try to avoid reflection because I don't want to accidently break the game... I was hoping there would be a better way to implement trees, but considering the constructor itself is private, I guess there's not many options available.

I kinda wish there was a consistent tutorial for trees, but I suppose that'd be hard since mojang keeps changing things between updates. The mod I'm working on is for 1.14, 1.15, and now 1.16, and each update has different code for trees, like they keep getting more and more modularized/customizable. Which certainly isn't a bad thing.