Interfacing mod power systems

Reika

I want to make an interface between my mod's power system and BuildCraft's MJ system. However, I have no idea how to do this.

I have dug into other mods' code, but they all seem to hardcode everything, using reflection to fetch classes, then variables, then values. To me, this seems like a stupid idea, as as soon as anything in the target mod changes, I need to rewrite my system.

Is there a better way? Note: I need full control over things like conversion ratio and behavior of converting machine. Ideally with my own TileEntity that takes in my power (already done) and produces MJ.

https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/tree/master/common/buildcraft/api/power

Maybe you should start by taking a look at the BuildCraft API. Hint: implement IPowerProvider

How can I use any of its classes directly without making them required for my mod to compile (and therefore making RotaryCraft dependent on BuildCraft)?

Import the API into your environment, then configure ant builds to exclude BuildCraft API packages and files.

For a peek at ant build configuration, look at pretty much any popular mod. A good mod to look at is EE-3, Pahimar has quite wonderfully documented how to use Ant. Start here, and follow the instructions.

Import the API into your environment, then configure ant builds to exclude BuildCraft API packages and files.

For a peek at ant build configuration, look at pretty much any popular mod. A good mod to look at is EE-3, Pahimar has quite wonderfully documented how to use Ant. Start here, and follow the instructions.

You misunderstood. If I make a direct reference to a BuildCraft class, my mod becomes dependent on the existence of that class (users without will with crash with NoClassDefFound).

In fact, it won't. As long as you check to confirm that BuildCraft exists before calling any of their methods, you'll have absolutely no problems.

Proof:

Check out my mod's (TukMC) source. I have references to classes in the ThirstMod and IC2, and not once have I ever experienced any issues.

In fact, it won't. As long as you check to confirm that BuildCraft exists before calling any of their methods, you'll have absolutely no problems.

Proof:

Check out my mod's (TukMC) source. I have references to classes in the ThirstMod and IC2, and not once have I ever experienced any issues.

I cannot make an implements conditional. And that class needs to exist in "vanilla RotaryCraft" as well.