gradlew genEclipseRuns stuck at 88% [Solved]

jonathanpecany

I really need help with Forge 1.16.4 in using gradlew genEclipseRun as it gets stuck at 88%, but the time continues. I have assigned about 2GBs to it and it does use that much, as well as all of my CPU usage, it is such a pig, XD. But it is stuck on 88%, even while using all of those resourced. I even left it for 7 Hours and no go, it is annoying and don't know what to do.

The main reason why I am trying to run it is for the Forge Source as I heard that creates it, I think anyways. Unless anyone know where to get the forge source at, please say. I have tried looking at this post in how but doesn't exactly answer my question, actually, I don't know if it does answer my question as it hinted to running the command.

Any help that leads to fixing the genEclipseRun command or help with getting the forge source in for attached docs to help with modding is very, very, very greatly appreciated. 

This has been solved. Click here to see what solved my problem.

Edited by jonathanpecany
My question has been solved. Reserve 3GBs of RAM for Java

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Decompiling is hard, especially if you want at least half-decent code to come out of it.

Minecraft is a big codebase.

Ergo: Decompiling Minecraft takes a lot of memory.

Well, alright then. I'll report back with what will happen.

Also, what is the main purpose of gradlew genEclipseRun?

17 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

It generates the run configurations for eclipse so you can start the game.

If the game is not decompiled yet, it will do so.

Well, your suggestion works. My computer run 3GBs of it quite easy. Guess I underestimated my computer, lol.
Thanks again.

Now, how do I get the forge source?

Edited by jonathanpecany

12 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

It tells you how to set up a Forge modding workspace in Eclipse.

Well, yeah. I have already done all of that. I have it open in eclipse and there are no errors. Only problem is, it will be hard to mod without some sort of docs. I have attached source to Forge in the Referenced Libraries from the .gradle cache (caches\forge_gradle\minecraft_user_repo\net\minecraftforge\forge\1.16.4-35.1.4), I attached the decomp one. But problem is that there seems to be no comment docs inside any of them, making it harder to mod it.

I did all of this right after running gradlew genEclipseRuns from cmd within the folder. I also did gradlew eclipse before that. Now, it is both build successful, I open it in eclipse and looked in reference libraries and in Forge snapshot, noticed no attached source so I added one that I think was it, which I think it was as it was working.

And that was the full steps in what I did. I tried to be as specific as I can. I really want to mod Minecraft, but I don't want it to be a lot harder to find what it does exactly, that will take forever and I want to customize Minecraft to the full expense of my imagination.

Edited by jonathanpecany

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Minecraft is not open source. In fact it is not even visible source. All we get from Mojang is the compiled jar file, which obviously does not contain any comments. On top of that the code is also obfuscated. In very recent versions Forge has switched to using Mojang's official mappings by default, so at least now fields and methods will have the same name as in Mojang's code. However you still don't get parameter names or comments.

There is nothing you can do about this, although in theory you could ask Mojang for documentation... ;)

So how does other madders that create awesome mods like GalacticCraft mod? I used GalacticCraft as an example as it uses a lot of neat features, like flag design, rocket, UI, Space UI, custom armor, adding tabs in Player Inventory, and more.

What steps did they take to look at how they do this and that? That is what confuses me, like if it doesn't have any sort of comments then how do people mod? That always confused me.

I could always ask Mojang for documentation, but why would they, lol. If it was that simple, I am about certain that if that was that easy, Forge would have access, but who knows though, they probably only asked once, so it might just work. Never hurts to ask, they can't sue you or anything for asking, lol. That would take away my first amendment of the USA.

16 minutes ago, jonathanpecany said:

Really? That is way to much, to do that would take months. There has to be an easier way that doesn't make someone discourage.

you don't need to read ALL the code, just the parts that concern your needs

plus the forge docs has information on all the fundamentals that you need, such as registries, events, capabilities...

from there you kind of have to figure things out for yourself... by reading the minecraft source code, or other mods source codes

there are a lot of example mods out there aimed at helping begginers

this is one that helped me a lot: https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

and if you can't figure out how to do something, you can always ask for help in the forum or in the discord

Edited by kiou.23

7 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

you don't need to read ALL the code, just the parts that concern your needs

plus the forge docs has information on all the fundamentals that you need, such as registries, events, capabilities...

from there you kind of have to figure things out for yourself... by reading the minecraft source code, or other mods source codes

there are a lot of example mods out there aimed at helping begginers

this is one that helped me a lot: https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

and if you can't figure out how to do something, you can always ask for help in the forum or in the discord

Alright, thanks. I will do that. Still probably going to be a pain though, but I will. Can I add my own custom comments to the source, I really hope so. But I think I can do it.

Also, what is the proper forge source at, I seen that forge decomp didn't include every source?

3 minutes ago, jonathanpecany said:

Alright, thanks. I will do that. Still probably going to be a pain though

it's not that bad, modding felt impossible when I started too, but the modularity that it has makes it much easier to handle

3 minutes ago, jonathanpecany said:

Can I add my own custom comments to the source, I really hope so. But I think I can do it.

nope, those classes are read-only, you can add comments to your own code tho

plus lots of the methods have javadocs too

Edited by kiou.23