Draw text on the screen (Minecraft 1.16.4 - 1.16.5)

andrussy44

How do I draw text on the screen? Basically, what does the function arguments of the function Minecraft.getInstance().fontRenderer.drawString() mean? Here is the code I used (UtilitiesMod is a static reference to my main mod class):

// Code to draw the text
fontRenderer.drawString(UtilitiesMod.netherPosStack, "Position (nether): "+UtilitiesMod.mcInstance.player.getPosX()/8+" "+UtilitiesMod.mcInstance.player.getPosY()/8+" "+UtilitiesMod.mcInstance.player.getPosZ()/8,1,0-(UtilitiesMod.mcInstance.currentScreen.height/2),14);
// Main class (code for the MatrixStack variables)
public static MatrixStack overworldPosStack=new MatrixStack();
public static MatrixStack netherPosStack=new MatrixStack();

Edited by andrussy44
Change "a portion of it" to exactly what portion it was.

46 minutes ago, andrussy44 said:

Basically, what does the function arguments of the function Minecraft.getInstance().fontRenderer.drawString() mean?

the first param is a matrixStack

the second is the String you want to draw

the third is the starting x position of the string, and the fourth is the starting y position

and the fifth is the color, it is better to write it in hexadecimal than decimal, you use 0x to say you're writing a hex number. if you still don't get it, you can search on hexadecimal color

and also: don't create your own matrixStacks, use the ones that are passed to you, you should always have a matrixStack in the context you'd want to call drawString

1 minute ago, andrussy44 said:

Thanks, but what does this code do?

// UtilitiesMod.overworldPosStack is the matrix stack I am using for this
UtilitiesMod.overworldPosStack.scale(0,0,0);

it scales what is going to be rendered with that matrix stack to 0 on x axis, 0 on the y axis, and 0 on the z axis, therefore making it infinetelly small

16 hours ago, andrussy44 said:

Thanks for all of this. However, I don't know how to make sure that the text will not overlap. Is it possible to specify a specific font size?

you can use MatrixStack#scale, as said before, to make the text smaller