Suggestions For World Gen Mod Idea

redspecsgaming

Experienced modders, I come to you with hat in hand and request if you could share with me your thoughts and suggestions for a direction I should take on implementing a feature in my mod. First, the concept. What I would like to achieve is to provide the end user a json config file in which they can place a list of biomes and provide some addition details/criteria to apply to the world generation about those biomes. The first I would like to achieve is applying a min and max distance that a biome can spawn at from the center of the world. For example, if they wanted to make sure that desert biome was never any closer to 0, 0 then say 200 blocks they could have that in the json and then the world would skip desert as an allowed biome whenever the player is generating terrain before 200 blocks out. So far I have been able to implement my own WorldType and BiomeProvider and strong arm the getBiomeNoise function to check the distance loaded in from center against the value loaded in from the config file and just wholesale swap it for a different hardcoded biome choice, but obvious that brute force attack is not ideal at all. So I have two questions maybe you can offer advise about:

1. I would actually like this feature to allow whatever the existing generation algorithm is to do its things and just make this one additional criteria check, but obviously this seems unlikely. (edit: removed the question about mixins as now that I have read more about it I see its coremodding and not willing to go that route)

2. What do you think is a better strategy for replacing the chosen biome with a new one? Look for the closest neighbor biome and go that route? Whats the best way to do that?

Thanks ahead of time for anyone who even bothered to read this lol.

Edited by redspecsgaming