Reading NBT from a block instance's tile entity

myoKun345

Hello everyone,

I am having some trouble reading an NBT value from a tile entity attached to instances of my blocks; I have it set temporarily that right clicking on the block will increment the value stored in NBT. This works, but every instance of the block also gets the resulting effects of the NBT change because while every block instance creates a new tile entity, they all are only checking the first one that was created. I am sure I just made a newbie mistake, but I haven't been able to determine what is wrong in the code.

Related code:

https://github.com/myoKun345/Ars-Herbologica/blob/master/herbologica_common/herbologica/block/crop/BlockHerbologicaBush.java

https://github.com/myoKun345/Ars-Herbologica/blob/master/herbologica_common/herbologica/tileentity/crop/TileEntityBush.java

Explanation:

I create an uninitialized variable for the tile entity to be accessed from, which is then initialized in createNewTileEntity(). From my understanding, this would create a new instance of the tile entity for each block and then reference/store it in the tileentity variable. Then I use the tileentity variable in setBlockBoundsBasedOnState() to grow the block based on the GrowthState NBT tag saved to the tile entity. I store the GrowthState NBT tag in-game using a variable inside the tile entity class. Then I increment that in onBlockActivated() so when it is right-clicked the growth state variable will be increased. I think that the problem is in either how I create and initialize the tile entity or how I read and write to the growth state.

The rest of the code is in the repository if you need to check something else.

Thanks in advance!