Error when trying to open modded forge server

usofnab

C:\Users\joshc\OneDrive\Desktop\modserver>java -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2847-universal.jar nogui
A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:70)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:34)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: class jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader cannot be cast to class java.net.URLClassLoader (jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader and java.net.URLClassLoader are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.<init>(Launch.java:34)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
        ... 6 more

This is the crash log if anyone could help

forge-1.12.2-14.23.5.2847-universal is the version 

On 12/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

We generally do not support older versions; however, since yours seems to be an issue with java version, I will make an exception. 1.12.2 requires Java 8 to run. It seems like you are running with a later version of java.

i installed java 8 after i read something online about it, how do i make sure it opens with java 8 and not java 19? since that seems to be the problem

15 hours ago, usofnab said:

i installed java 8 after i read something online about it, how do i make sure it opens with java 8 and not java 19? since that seems to be the problem

Either specify the path of the application to be the java 8 executable or make sure Java 8 shows up on the PATH environment variable before java 19. Probably should set JAVA_HOME to the java 8 location as well.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:32 PM, ChampionAsh5357 said:

Either specify the path of the application to be the java 8 executable or make sure Java 8 shows up on the PATH environment variable before java 19. Probably should set JAVA_HOME to the java 8 location as well.

how do i do this, my java 8 is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_351