I know how to mod but I don't get Forge

mattman00000

I am familiar with Java (as well as C++ and a bit of python) and I understand how to make a mod by modifying base classes. I understand how to work with MCP. However, Forge has me baffled. I need a tutorial or something that explains how Forge does things, by comparing to base class modding procedure. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Apologies in advance if I've broken any rules here, first post be gentle etcetera. Thanks.

Well if you look under the "tutorials" link in the forums there are many on how to mod using forge.

forge is a tool used to make it so mods don't clash, if there are 2 mods that are hard coded and they both edit the same class, one of them will be broken because the other mod will have overwritten it, this just makes things a little easier when you have more than 1 mod installed and/or want to distribute it, cos face it, most people cant be arsed dragging and dropping classes into the minecraft.jar file, or are afraid of doing so in case of breaking it.

<iframe src="http://widget.mcf.li/mc-mods/minecraft/225523-gnomgnoms-utils" width="100%" style="border: none;"></iframe>

Thank you for the response, but I do understand what forge does. My issue is that none of the tutorials explain very well how forge works.

Let's say I want to increase the damage done by ender pearls to the thrower. I would go in to net.minecraft.src.EntityEnderPearl and change onImpact() so that it says for example

this.getThrower().attackEntityFrom(DamageSource.fall, 10);

instead of

this.getThrower().attackEntityFrom(DamageSource.fall, 5);

My overall question is not "how do I use forge to increase ender pearl damage?" it is "how do I translate a modding technique from base class modding procedure to forge modding procedure?"

you can do anything you want with coding all forge does for you is make it easier and so mods don't clash. so you dont want to change base classes otherwise players cant use your mod with another mod that uses the file you edited if you change something it needs so if you wanted to increase the damage then you could use the EnderTeleport Event.

So to summarize never change base classes as forge adds ways so you can add new stuff and change things well making your  compatible with other mods.

here is a good tutorial list: http://mazetar.com/mctuts/displayTutorials.php

just use filters for forge then find the one called event handler and it will teach you the basics of how to use events.

p.s. don't worry about the IExtendedProperties in the second post you wont need it.