Possible to render 16x16 particles?

Whale Cancer

Been playing around with particle effects for a few hours now and I've been trying to understand how getTextureManager.bindTexture works when setting the texture of the particle. Here is bindTexture:

public void bindTexture(ResourceLocation par1ResourceLocation)
    {
        Object object = (TextureObject)this.mapTextureObjects.get(par1ResourceLocation);

if (object == null)
        {
            object = new SimpleTexture(par1ResourceLocation);
            this.loadTexture(par1ResourceLocation, (TextureObject)object);
        }

TextureUtil.bindTexture(((TextureObject)object).getGlTextureId());
    }

I can't really see where in that code it would limit the texture to 8x8, so I must be looking in the wrong place?

I believe this is the only relevant section of my mod for the actual setting of the texture of the particle (other than the actual spawning of the particle stuff, which all works):

@Override
    @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    	public void renderParticle(Tessellator tessellator, float par2, float par3, float par4, float par5, float par6, float par7){
    	tessellator.draw();
    	Minecraft.getMinecraft().getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation("doormod:textures/particle/custom_particles.png"));
    	tessellator.startDrawingQuads();
    	tessellator.setBrightness(200);
    	super.renderParticle(tessellator, par2, par3, par4, par5, par6, par7);
    	tessellator.draw();
    	Minecraft.getMinecraft().getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation("textures/particle/custom_particles.png"));
    	tessellator.startDrawingQuads();
    }

If I am not mistaken, par2 through par7 are just the origin and motion of the particle and tessellator only has to do with rendering the particle and nothing to do with setting the texture.

So... any help or direction? Thanks in advance!

@diesieben07

I assumed you meant super.renderParticle so I looked through that and found the logic that limited it to 8x8 textures. I tried making a custom tesselator class and changing that logic, but I ended up running into an error through making a non-static refrence to a static method (IIRC).

Did you try before ?

With the changes in resource packs, that old limitation might have gone.

See EntityFX#setParticleIcon(Icon) just in case.

I messed around with setParticleIcon and it seems to return 8x8 as well. It is currently used in vanilla to grab an 8x8 texture from the texture of a side of a block for the purpose of creating those little damage particles when you hit something.