[1.7] Syncing TileEntity server -> client

RaoulV

If you need the value for the actual block rendering then you will need description packets. Sending those every tick is a very bad idea, you should send them like every 40 ticks or so and do interpolation in the meantime on the client.

But I don't see how your value is needed outside the GUI.

Those description packets aren't working as I said in my post, so that doesn't really help.

Those description packets aren't working as I said in my post, so that doesn't really help.

Description packets are only sent when the block is scheduled for an update, which happens each time the chunk containing the block loads, and then never again unless you schedule a tick, which, as has been mentioned, is not the best method if you need to do so every tick.

If you just need to keep the energy stored in sync, use the ICrafting from your container, as was mentioned earlier. That's exactly what it is for.

ICrafting wasn't really an option since I had to send NBT data.

So, I fixed it, and diesieben you where right, sending updates when the GUI is not open is wrong. :P

So I implemented an packet / channel handler and this is how I do it now:

- a packet called PacketTileUpdate (handles sending tile updates with NBT data, compressed :P)

- a method sendNetworkUpdate(EntityPlayer player) in my TE-base class.

- sendNetworkUpdate() is called in detectAndSendChanges() in the container.

- upon receiving the update packet, it updates the NBT data from the TE.

One final question, do I need to check if I'm serverside in detectAndChanges()? Or does that happen already?

You're probably right. I made an ISynchronizedTile class that takes readData(ByteBuf) and writeData(ByteBuf). In detectAndSendChanges() I'm checking if the TE is an instance of ISynchronizedTile, if it is => write coords and do ((ISynchronizedTile) tile).readData(bytes). Upon receiving the packet I get the TE with the coords provided and call the writeData().

Thanks for the help!