I'm doing something wrong (I think) but dont know what - any help appreciated

nitroxtom

Hi everyone.

Quick background - my son has played Minecraft on Xbox for a long time + wanted to start on PC - basically to play the Mods.

So I downloaded the latest Minecraft game 1.7.10 - played it fine.

Then I downloaded the latest Forge, 1.7.10 (recommended) watched an install video on youtube and I appear to have installed it fine. I get the forge profile bottom left in Minecraft start up screen and it says forge 1.7.10 bottom right corner.

I also have the mods folder showing, with just the standard 3 files in it.

My problem is when I download mod files - I have tried the Flans Mod - 1.7.2-4 as it looked to be popular. I downloaded it then moved the jar file to the mods folder in my .minecraft area.

When I then start minecraft it crashes and gives the white crash report screen (below)

I have tried to alter the Forger version in Minecraft by going - Edit Profile and then selecting 1.7.2 to match the mod version, but when I then start Minecraft it does not show the mods folder at all in the start up screen.

I know I must be doing something wrong, but I just cant seem to find what - it's very frustrating, and I am obviously completely new to this whole thing, so sorry in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----

// You should try our sister game, Minceraft!

Time: 16/07/14 09:01

Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraft.client.gui.ScaledResolution.<init>(Lnet/minecraft/client/settings/GameSettings;II)V

at com.flansmod.client.TickHandlerClient.renderTickEnd(TickHandlerClient.java:264)

at com.flansmod.client.TickHandlerClient.renderTick(TickHandlerClient.java:205)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_25_TickHandlerClient_renderTick_RenderTickEvent.invoke(.dynamic)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:51)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:122)

at cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.onRenderTickEnd(FMLCommonHandler.java:339)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:991)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:134)

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.7.10

Operating System: Windows NT (unknown) (amd64) version 6.2

Java Version: 1.6.0_14, Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.

Memory: 66492760 bytes (63 MB) / 289079296 bytes (275 MB) up to 954466304 bytes (910 MB)

JVM Flags: 2 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx1G

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

FML: MCP v9.05 FML v7.10.18.1180 Minecraft Forge 10.13.0.1180 4 mods loaded, 4 mods active

mcp{9.05} [Minecraft Coder Pack] (minecraft.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available

FML{7.10.18.1180} [Forge Mod Loader] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.0.1180.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available

Forge{10.13.0.1180} [Minecraft Forge] (forge-1.7.10-10.13.0.1180.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available

flansmod{4.2.3} [flansmod] (Flans Mod-1.7.2-4.2.3.jar) Unloaded->Constructed->Pre-initialized->Initialized->Post-initialized->Available

Launched Version: 1.7.10-Forge10.13.0.1180

LWJGL: 2.9.1

OpenGL: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series GL version 3.3.11653 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

GL Caps: Using GL 1.3 multitexturing.

Using framebuffer objects because OpenGL 3.0 is supported and separate blending is supported.

Anisotropic filtering is supported and maximum anisotropy is 16.

Shaders are available because OpenGL 2.1 is supported.

Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'fml,forge'

Type: Client (map_client.txt)

Resource Packs: []

Current Language: English (US)

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Vec3 Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

Anisotropic Filtering: Off (1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks  :)

so I can leave the latest minecraft 1.7.10 on my PC & I need to delete the 1.7.2 Forge?

Then install the 1.7.2 forge? is that correct?

Or do I also need a 1.7.2 Minecraft as well?

Normally PC programs are backwards compatible but I guess this doesn't work like that.

I see, so when I want to use a 1.7.10 mod I just run the 1.7.10 profile - correct? and for a 1.7.2 mod I use the 1.7.2 forge profile.

Can the mods stay in the mods folder? or should I have different folders called - mods 1.7.2 and mods 1.7.10 etc or do I keep pasting and deleting mods in and out of the folders as I use them? ie each time we use the game + want to use a different mod - thanks a lot for taking the time to help