Custom Melon-like Block - Help needed

AvidPenguin

Hello Forgerers

i'm trying to add a crop to my mod (A tomato) which grows the same way a Melon/Pumpkin does (stem, block next to it etc)

I've tried everything and it simply won't work. I've looked everywhere for tutorials and whatnot, and I can't find anything. I've spent at least 3 hours looking at the vanilla code and copying it over, modifying where necessary, and it's still not working.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be splendid

what exactly isnt working? you cant plant your seed? your seed wont grow? or the stem wont spawn the tomato next to it?

The game won't load. It's saying NullPointerException. I'll post the source code for everything related, and the error stuff now (Should probably have done that first)

Sorry but i didnt start modding until 1.7.2 so you will have to wait for someone who has had experience with 1.6 to help you.

But from what i can tell from your crash log it looks like the problem is in this line

public static Item tomatoseeds = new ItemSeed				(27547, BetterCraft.tomatostem.blockID, Block.tilledField.blockID).setUnlocalizedName("tomatoseeds").setTextureName("bettercraft:tomatoseeds");

I am the author of Draconic Evolution

Sorry but i didnt start modding until 1.7.2 so you will have to wait for someone who has had experience with 1.6 to help you.

But from what i can tell from your crash log it looks like the problem is in this line

public static Item tomatoseeds = new ItemSeed				(27547, BetterCraft.tomatostem.blockID, Block.tilledField.blockID).setUnlocalizedName("tomatoseeds").setTextureName("bettercraft:tomatoseeds");

yeah, I know it's that line, but it's the exact same as the vanilla, well, not exact same obviously.

I don't know what I've done wrong, it's bugging me :/

First of all: don't make a mod for 1.6.4. It's ages old.

Then: your class is a mess. Everything thrown into one class, that's ugly and you just can't read it, especially with no syntax highlighting.

The issue is that you use the "tomatostem" field before you create it's value, so the value is still null.

I know 1.6.4 is old, but I've been working on this mod at a slow rate, since 1.6.4 basically came out :/

I also know my class is a mess, but I know where everything is, I wanted to get everything working them start tidying it up.

And I don't follow, if you could identify where I create the value so I can move it, I get confused with the Java ordering...

(sorry for dorky understanding)

Its simple

tomatostem = new BlockStem(845, tomatoblock).setUnlocalizedName("tomatostem").setHardness(0.0F).setResistance(0.5F);

needs to be called before

I am the author of Draconic Evolution

Its simple

tomatostem = new BlockStem(845, tomatoblock).setUnlocalizedName("tomatostem").setHardness(0.0F).setResistance(0.5F);

needs to be called before

OH, YES I UNDERSTAND NOW

I've always grouped the registering of blocks and the creation (i think them terms are correct) because of a tutorial I watched waaaay back. Gonna fix now and report back. Thanks so much guys

Well I give up now.

The client launched, but the tomato block doesn't exist. I tried to plant the tomato seeds, but the game crashed.

I'm going to start afresh, on 1.7.2, and slowly build my mod back up.

If you know of any tutorials that could help me with the block creation (as I believe that there is a crop api for crops and stuff idk) but that would be great

Thanks guys