How can I get the location of the master block in a multiblock? [SOLVED]

TheEpicTekkit

Im really sorry to bother you again for like the fourth day in a row, but this has to be the strangest thing so far.

Im still working on my distillation chamber multiblock structure, and in testing if I can return the master block of the whole structure, the one that contains all the inventoris contents, I put in the onBlockActivated method this:

@Override
public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
	TileEntityDistillationChamberGag tileEntity = (TileEntityDistillationChamberGag)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

System.out.println("X: " + x + ", Y: " + y + ", Z: " + z + ".");

//TileEntityDistillationChamberGag tileEntity1 = (TileEntityDistillationChamberGag)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

if (!world.isRemote) {
		System.out.println("Master located at: X " + tileEntity.masterPosX + ", Y: " + tileEntity.masterPosY + ", Z: " + tileEntity.masterPosZ);
		return true;
	}
	return false;
}

Now the first system.out.println is the coordinates of the block you are clicking on, and the second one after the if (!world.isRemote) should return the coordinates of the master block. But instead it crashes, and in the crash report it says:

java.lang.ClassCastException: net.theepictekkit.generator.common.tileentity.TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame cannot be cast to net.theepictekkit.generator.common.tileentity.TileEntityDistillationChamberGag
at net.theepictekkit.generator.common.blocks.advanced.multiblock.BlockDistillationChamberWall.onBlockActivated(BlockDistillationChamberWall.java:26)

And line 26 is:

TileEntityDistillationChamberGag tileEntity = (TileEntityDistillationChamberGag)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

now for some reason the x, y, z is returning the coords of the master block, but only in this line of code, as in the first system.out.println uses the same x, y, z coords and returns the coords of the block being clicked.

And from what I understand, this is trying to cast the master: (TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame) to itself: (TileEntityDistillationChamberGag) and it shouldnt be doing that because the x, y, z coords shouldnt return the master block, and in no other place have I referenced the master block (yet).

Am I doing something wrong in how I am trying to get the master block from the gag blocks? if so, what is the correct way to do this?

Thanks for any help.

I ask complicated questions, and apparently like to write really long detailed posts. But I also help others when I can.

How can I make the gag blocks search for the master block in a certain area? because I had an idea where instead of the gag blocks having a tileentity that references the master tileentity, I can make it search for the master when it is activated, and open the masters gui in my guiHandler.

Is this the correct way to do this? or is there a better way?

I ask complicated questions, and apparently like to write really long detailed posts. But I also help others when I can.

change this

System.out.println("Master located at: X " + tileEntity.masterPosX + ", Y: " + tileEntity.masterPosY + ", Z: " + tileEntity.masterPosZ);

to

System.out.println("Master located at: X " + tileEntity.xCoord+ ", Y: " + tileEntity.yCoord+ ", Z: " + tileEntity.zCoord);

or

System.out.println("Master located at: X " + DistillationChamberGag .xCoord+ ", Y: " + DistillationChamberGag .yCoord+ ", Z: " + DistillationChamberGag .zCoord);

change this

to

System.out.println("Master located at: X " + tileEntity.xCoord+ ", Y: " + tileEntity.yCoord+ ", Z: " + tileEntity.zCoord);

or

System.out.println("Master located at: X " + DistillationChamberGag .xCoord+ ", Y: " + DistillationChamberGag .yCoord+ ", Z: " + DistillationChamberGag .zCoord);

That wont work because tileEntity.xCoord, yCoord etc is the coordinates of the gag tileentity, but in the gag tileentity there are 3 integers, masterPosX, masterPosY, and masterPosZ. These should return the location of the master block. Now im not sure if I am referencing the master correctly in the tileentitygag here is what I did:

public class TileEntityDistillationChamberGag extends TileEntity implements ISidedInventory{

private TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame tileEntityMain;
private boolean hasMaster = true;
private boolean isMaster = false;

public int masterPosX = tileEntityMain.xCoord;
public int masterPosY = tileEntityMain.yCoord;
public int masterPosZ = tileEntityMain.zCoord;

...Irrelevant code...

Im pretty sure it is wrong because when it is part of the multiblock it returns x: 0, y: 0, z: 0. And when it is not part of the multiblock, it crashes the game with a nullPointerException.

Is the way I am getting the master block correct? I have a strong feeling that it is not, but I cant figure out how to properly do so.

Also sorry for the late reply, I was out of the house for a bit.

but how do I set a non static variable from another class? (I am kind of new to java, and for the record, I have attempted this before in this mod, and havnt had much luck, so it would be great if I could get a detailed explanation  on how to do this).

But it is actually referencing the class that is the problem, I dont know how to properly do this. Before when I have tried to reference other classes, I have had crashes saying things like classCastException, class1 can not be cast to class2, or nullPointerException etc.

I knew that the variable needed to be public for other classes to access it, I pretty much make everything public, unless I know that it needs to be protected or private.

When you create the class, you could pass in the reference in the constructor and then assign it to a property. You could also create a method in the class that accepts the reference and does something with it. There are numerous ways to pass along reference to instances.

ClassCastExceptions arise when one tries to cast an instance of an ObjectA to ObjectB when ObjectA doesn't extend or implement ObjectB. For example if you have an ArrayList, a ClassCastExceptions will be thrown when you try to cast this to a Map. A good way to prevent this is to check before you cast:

if (ObjectA instanceof ObjectB) { /** Do your stuff **/ }

NullPointers arise when one uses a variable or a property while it hasn't been assigned yet. So if you create a variable like `String foo;` or `String foo = null;` and you start calling methods on it like foo.equalsIgnoreCase("bar") it throws an exception because foo is used as a string while it's a null. When you come across this a lot, try assigning values in your constructors more or make sure a value has been set before using it:

if (foo != null) { /** Do your stuff **/ }

Hope this helps.

Thanks! now alot more things make sense.

When you say I could pass the reference in the constructor, do you mean like this?

public int masterPosX;
public int masterPosY;
public int masterPosZ;

public TileEntityDistillationChamberGag(TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame main) {
	this.tileEntityMain = main;

if (tileEntityMain != null) {
		this.masterPosX = tileEntityMain.masterPosX;
		this.masterPosY = tileEntityMain.masterPosY;
		this.masterPosZ = tileEntityMain.masterPosZ;
	} else {
		this.masterPosX = 1;
		this.masterPosY = 1;
		this.masterPosZ = 1; //So that it isn't null and causes a crash when right clicked
		this.hasMaster = false;
	}
}

And then change the createNewTileEntity method in the block class from:

@Override
public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(World world, int par2) {
	return new TileEntityDistillationChamberGag();
}

to:

@Override
	return new TileEntityDistillationChamberGag(new TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame());
}

But how would this work if there was multiple of these structures in the world? I feel like I am missing something to make sure that it is part of 'this' multiblock structure.

Im also looking on github for the way forestry has done their multifarms. I cant actually find where they have done this though. I have their page on github up, and I have looked through all their packages, but cant find the multifarm code. This will also be useful for me to see how the inventory can store liquids, because I want to have a gui that can store liquids (I have an idea on how to do this, but I dont think that it would be compatible with things like fluiducts, or waterproof pipes, I want to see how they make it compatible)

Update:

This code has fixed all the crash problems when the block is activated, but it now only returns 0, 0, 0 for the coords of the master... what am I doing wrong? because if this were to open a gui, I would get a nullPointerException because the block at 0, 0, 0 doesnt have a gui.

Thanks! now alot more things make sense.

When you say I could pass the reference in the constructor, do you mean like this?

public int masterPosX;
public int masterPosY;
public int masterPosZ;

public TileEntityDistillationChamberGag(TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame main) {
	this.tileEntityMain = main;

if (tileEntityMain != null) {
		this.masterPosX = tileEntityMain.masterPosX;
		this.masterPosY = tileEntityMain.masterPosY;
		this.masterPosZ = tileEntityMain.masterPosZ;
	} else {
		this.masterPosX = 1;
		this.masterPosY = 1;
		this.masterPosZ = 1; //So that it isn't null and causes a crash when right clicked
		this.hasMaster = false;
	}
}

And then change the createNewTileEntity method in the block class from:

@Override
}

to:

@Override
	return new TileEntityDistillationChamberGag(new TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame());
}

But how would this work if there was multiple of these structures in the world? I feel like I am missing something to make sure that it is part of 'this' multiblock structure.

You don't need those parameters, this is the fixed code:

@Override
public TileEntity createNewTileEntity() {
}

@Override
public TileEntity createNewTileEntity() {
}

I do need something there though, because otherwise it gives an error saying 'add arguments to match TileEntityDistillationChamberGag(TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame)' because there is a constructor in the tileentity to reference the master.

Could you place in your onBlockActivated method of your master block a check

TileEnitity te = world.getTileEntity(x, y, z)

if(!world.isRemote){

if (muiltiblockStructure()){

open gui

}

}

Then create a method called boolean multiBlockStructure().  Set the tile block there as meta zero.  Create the mutliblock around it uing for loops or just setBlock(x, y, z, gagBlock, meta, flag).. Gag block can be normal block or a vanilla block.  Return true if the structure is correct.

This way only one tile entity at X, Y, and Z.

I got it working finally :)

I havn't found any crash bugs (yet) and the inventory is accessable from any block in the structure, and the inventory is the same, it has the same contents no matter what block you click, and is only accessible when the structure is formed.

For anyone that wants to see how I have done it, here is my code:

The onBlockActivated method in the block class of the gag blocks:

@Override
public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
	TileEntityDistillationChamberGag DistillationChamberGag = (TileEntityDistillationChamberGag)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

Block master = BlockHandler.distillationChamber;

int masterX;
	int masterY;
	int masterZ;

TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame tileEntityMaster = null;

for (int i = x-2; i < x+3; i++) { //x
		for (int k = z-2; k < z+3; k++) {//z
			for (int j = y-10; j < y+10; j++) {//y
				if (world.getBlock(i, j, k) == master) {
					masterX = i;
					masterY = j;
					masterZ = k;
					tileEntityMaster = (TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame) world.getTileEntity(i, j, k);

if (!world.isRemote) {
						if (tileEntityMaster != null && tileEntityMaster.checkMultiBlockForm()) {
							System.out.println("Located master At: X:" + masterX + ", Y: " + masterY + ", Z: " + masterZ + " and structure is successfully formed!");
							FMLNetworkHandler.openGui(player, Generator.instance, Generator.guiIdDistillationChamber, world, i, j, k);
							return true;
						}
					}
				} else {
					masterX = 0;
					masterY = 0;
					masterZ = 0;
				}
			}
		}
	}
	return false;
}

There isn't any other methods related to synchronising the inventories in this class, only registering textures.

To be honest, all the work of synchronising the inventories is done here in the onBlockActivated method. There is a nested for loop (i, j, and k (x, y, and z) this searches a 5x5x10 area for the master block (5x5x10 because that is the size of my structure, and I want the furthest blocks in the structure to be able to find the master too).

If it can't find the master, it just skips everything up to the else statement, that else statement is just there to avoid a nullPointerException by actually initializing the masterX, masterY, masterZ variables with 0.

If on the other hand, it does find a master block, it initializes the masterX, masterY, and masterZ variables with the location of the master block, then it initializes the tileentity as the master blocks tileentity.

masterX = i;
masterY = j;
masterZ = k;
tileEntityMaster = (TileEntityDistillationChamberFrame) world.getTileEntity(i, j, k);

After that, it goes onto double check if the tileentity is not null, and checks if the structure is formed. and if both of those are true, then it opens the inventory at the location of the master block.

if (tileEntityMaster != null && tileEntityMaster.checkMultiBlockForm()) {
System.out.println("Located master At: X:" + masterX + ", Y: " + masterY + ", Z: " + masterZ + " and structure is successfully formed!");
FMLNetworkHandler.openGui(player, Generator.instance, Generator.guiIdDistillationChamber, world, i, j, k);
return true;
}

The System.out.println is from when I was testing this worked.

Works perfectly now.