[1.8]can't spawn a entity that extends EntityFlying?

jokekid

so im making a new flying mob, right now i just have the entity class done, so i thought i'd try it out, but for some reason i can't spawn it, not through the egg nor command, so i thought i did something wrong somewhere, but then i noticed i cant spawn a ghast either, and i get the same error for both.

i really need to be able to spawn this creature at will, specially since im making some custom AI tasks that i obviously need to test...

first of all, all that "junk" is to have all mob stuff located in one class, and it helps...

second of all, this doesn't have anything to do with my issue, ive been messing around with the EntityEoC's extension, and if it extends entityMob it CAN be spawned, but it will fall through the floor because it's a noClip entity, and should be flying around...

it's based on the ghast's entity code: http://pastebin.com/yiZvJzYc

so, i dont know how to make an entity fly without it being a FlyingEntity, cuz if it's a FlyingEntity you can't spawn it using the egg or command...

EDIT:

also, how the hell am i supposed to register a entity without a ID?

and while the egg thing may be unnecesary, it sure helps to have a spawn item instead of using commands

registerModEntity

can add a spawn egg for you without using a global ID, just use the overload with the two additional

int

parameters (the egg background and foreground colours). There's no reason to use global IDs at all.

Why can't you spawn flying entities with commands or eggs? Do you get an error in the log when you attempt to do so? If so, post it.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

"Based on" is nice. It is pretty much just copy-pasted probably without you understanding anything.

what you are looking at is the ghast class, not my own entity class, and yes, first i copy necesary methods, make sure it works, and then i edit them as i need.

Sure you can spawn flying entities using spawn eggs...

if i could, this thread wouldnt exist, you CANT spawn entities that extend the EntityFlying class, that's not a question, it's a fact.

You don't. But you don't use global IDs (hence only registerModEntity). You start at 0 and increment.

registerModEntity adds a spawn egg if you tell it to.

ok, didnt know that, will fix.

alright, i think i got this thing solved, i made a new class mixing both the entityMob class and entityFlying class, now it spawns and flies.

and i think i found the method that allows you to spawn a mob or not, i'll edit this post later when confirmed

EDIT: so i changed the registering to what you said, and now they don't work anymore...

in case i misunderstood, here's the non-functional code:

public static void createEntity(Class entityClass, String entityName, int solidColor, int spotColor){
	EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(entityClass, entityName, nextId, DungeonsMain.instance, 64, 1, true);
	EntityList.entityEggs.put(Integer.valueOf(nextId), new EntityList.EntityEggInfo(nextId, solidColor, spotColor));
	nextId++;
}

nextId is a static int that starts at 0.

and i tried giving the registerModEntity the 2 int values for the egg colors and the method doesn't exist...

what you are looking at is the ghast class, not my own entity class, and yes, first i copy necesary methods, make sure it works, and then i edit them as i need.

Why did you post the vanilla class? Why not post your class?

if i could, this thread wouldnt exist, you CANT spawn entities that extend the EntityFlying class, that's not a question, it's a fact.

As I asked in my previous post, why can't you? What happens when you try?

and i tried giving the registerModEntity the 2 int values for the egg colors and the method doesn't exist...

Are you using an old version of Forge? The new egg system was added in 11.14.3.1468.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

i'm using forge 1.8-11.14.3.1450

how do i update to the newer forge?

and if you wanna know what happens when summoning/spawning a entity that extends EntityFlying just try spawning a ghast.

chat says "unable to summon object"

and the console gives this:

[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityList.createEntityByID(EntityList.java:224)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.item.ItemMonsterPlacer.spawnCreature(ItemMonsterPlacer.java:201)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.item.ItemMonsterPlacer.onItemUse(ItemMonsterPlacer.java:107)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.onPlaceItemIntoWorld(ForgeHooks.java:570)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.onItemUse(ItemStack.java:146)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.server.management.ItemInWorldManager.activateBlockOrUseItem(ItemInWorldManager.java:488)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.processPlayerBlockPlacement(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:624)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C08PacketPlayerBlockPlacement.processPacket(C08PacketPlayerBlockPlacement.java:67)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.network.play.client.C08PacketPlayerBlockPlacement.processPacket(C08PacketPlayerBlockPlacement.java:114)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.network.PacketThreadUtil$1.run(PacketThreadUtil.java:24)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler.callFuture(FMLCommonHandler.java:714)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:727)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:669)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:171)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:540)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at com.jokekid.dungeons.mobs.eoc.EntityEoC.applyEntityAttributes(EntityEoC.java:36)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.<init>(EntityLivingBase.java:161)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.<init>(EntityLiving.java:77)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityFlying.<init>(EntityFlying.java:14)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	at com.jokekid.dungeons.mobs.eoc.EntityEoC.<init>(EntityEoC.java:14)
[18:32:05] [server thread/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable$WrappedPrintStream:println:-1]: 	... 22 more
[18:32:05] [server thread/WARN]: Skipping Entity with id 4

and i posted the vanilla class so you guys didnt need to search for it, i already posted my entire repo before

To update Forge, change the

minecraft.version

field (i.e. the

version

field in the

minecraft

block) in your build.gradle script to the appropriate version and run

gradlew setupDecompWorkspace

again. If you're using Eclipse, regenerate your project with

gradlew eclipse

. If you're using IDEA, refresh the project in the Gradle window.

Your repo doesn't have the code for the flying entity in it.

If you look at the stacktrace, you'll see that your code is throwing a

NullPointerException

on line 36 of

EntityEoC

(in the

applyEntityAttributes

method).