Custom Horse Armor

jeffryfisher

I am still hoping to someday be able to invent new levels and textures of horse armor, but (as of recommended build 1450) it looks like the three vanilla varieties are still wedged into entity horse with no java hook to add more. Is there a method for adding custom horse armor types? If so, then where may I learn it or see an example?

Searching for discussions, all I can find are dead-ends from mc 1.6 and 1.7. Rather than resurrect one of those necro threads, I'll just link the most hopeful:

Back in June 2014, SanAndreasP wrote that he had a transformer and would make a PR. I can still see his transformer at GitHub. Did that go any further (and fail)? If not, then would that transformer have any value today? If so, then how does one make a PR for it?

The code inside the transformer is mostly gibberish to me, but it looks like it adds a method to EntityHorse that a modder like me could call to add any item to its list of acceptable and wearable horse armor. I can't figure out where my mod would specify protection value and rendering, but I suppose that would be easier to see after the source code is transformed.

BTW, I failed in last year's attempts to crack EntityHorse using reflection. The code is too literal (for me).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.