[1.8] Unexplainable java.lang.NoSuchMethodError

RocketyJoa

Hi! I'm making 2 mods, but I've been getting this runtime error in both mods. They compile ok, IntelliJ doesn't highlights any error, but when I test them, Minecraft throws a java.lang.NoSuchMethodError.

I'm using Forge 1.8-11.14.3.1521 to run, and IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.4 as IDE.

I checked the methods, the imports (the line itself), and the files being imported, and everything is ok. I also searched this online, even here, but I didn't find an answer to my problem.

I can't modify the import, as it's from an external library.

Here I will put the error of one of the mods, along with the relevant code of the file imported and the MC Crash report. I hope you guys can help me with this.

File 'errored':

package com.joa.techmod.items;

import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;

public class BasicItem extends Item {
    public BasicItem(String unlocalizedName) {
        super();

this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName); // <- This is "wrong"
        this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabMaterials);
    }
}

Import (Item, resume):

package net.minecraft.item;

import ...

public class Item
{
    private String unlocalizedName;
    /**
     * Sets the unlocalized name of this item to the string passed as the parameter, prefixed by "item."
     */
    public Item setUnlocalizedName(String unlocalizedName)
    {
        this.unlocalizedName = unlocalizedName;
        return this;
    }
}

Crash Report:

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I just don't know what went wrong 

Time: 13/10/15 13:23

Description: There was a severe problem during mod loading that has caused the game to fail

net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.joa.techmod.items.BasicItem.setUnlocalizedName(Ljava/lang/String;)Lnet/minecraft/item/Item;
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoadController.transition(LoadController.java:163)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.preinitializeMods(Loader.java:553)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.beginMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:249)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:413)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:325)
    at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:120)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
    at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.joa.techmod.items.BasicItem.setUnlocalizedName(Ljava/lang/String;)Lnet/minecraft/item/Item;
    at com.joa.techmod.items.BasicItem.<init>(BasicItem.java:10)
    at com.joa.techmod.items.ModItems.createItems(ModItems.java:50)
    at com.joa.techmod.CommonProxy.preInit(CommonProxy.java:12)
    at com.joa.techmod.ClientProxy.preInit(ClientProxy.java:12)
    at com.joa.techmod.Main.preInit(Main.java:26)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.FMLModContainer.handleModStateEvent(FMLModContainer.java:537)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74)at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoadController.sendEventToModContainer(LoadController.java:212)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoadController.propogateStateMessage(LoadController.java:190)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventSubscriber.handleEvent(EventSubscriber.java:74)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.SynchronizedEventSubscriber.handleEvent(SynchronizedEventSubscriber.java:47)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatch(EventBus.java:322)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.dispatchQueuedEvents(EventBus.java:304)
    at com.google.common.eventbus.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:275)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoadController.distributeStateMessage(LoadController.java:119)
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.preinitializeMods(Loader.java:550)
    ... 10 more

Are you compiling it with

gradlew build

(or running the

build

task through IDEA's Gradle window)? This reobfuscates the mod after compiling it, so

setUnlocalizedName

is renamed to the appropriate SRG name (the names used outside of the development environment).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Yes, I'm using the "Build On Make" task. And, sorry, but I'm just a newbie (not even 5 months I started), but, how I "fix" it? Thank you on advance.

I haven't used IDEA's artifacts before, but I don't think they're compiled with the Gradle

build

task; so they're not reobfuscated by ForgeGradle. You need to run the

build

task from the command line or IDEA's Gradle window, which will compile and reobfuscate the mod and output it to build/libs.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Ok. So I used Gradle build task, but it didn't compile the resources.

Then I changed the build.gradle file (I searched the problem here and found a fix) but now it doesn't compiles any source code at all. It just build 'empty' .jars, containing only a META-INF folder (with the Manifest saying "Manifest version 1.0.0"), while "Build On Make" option compiles everything, but it has the problem mentioned in the OP. What should I do? Thanks ^^

Is your source code in src/main/java and your resources in src/main/resources? If so, post your build.gradle.

My source code is in src/com, and my assets in src/resources. Didn't added the main/java due to a friend's recommendation (He said something about IntelliJ and Java, I don't remember well).

EDIT: I tested the .jar I got to compile. Using 'runClient' Gradle task, the mod works and no errors are found. However, if I use the normal Minecraft (the launcher, not the development environment) it finds the same error, despite using the same .jar.

Gradle will only pick up your sources and resources if you use src/main/java and src/main/resources unless you tell it otherwise.

IntelliJ will do the same if you import the gradle project properly (see here).

I started programming in Eclipse, then switched to IntelliJ. However, I added that line of code at the end of the build.gradle file before.

I am not talking about the resources fix, it does not affect building outside of IntelliJ. I am talking about the "open build.gradle" step.

Also, in eclipse you should be using src/main/java and src/main/resources as well. It is pretty much the standard (set by maven) for Java projects.

When I used Eclipse I also used main/java, then I switched to IntelliJ (what I'm using now) and I changed it to src/com (Same with resources).

Should I upload build.gradle?