[1.8.9] What was the consensus on the modeling crisis?

AnZaNaMa

I've been having issues with rendering things from my mod I've been working on, because of the stupid 1.8 update and I found some threads like this:

I know that many of the the big mods are finally updating with the release of 1.8.9 and I was curious what changed that made it easier? What is now the generally used/accepted form of rendering? Can we use OBJs again? Is it still JSON?

Thanks!

- Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they can't be the way you want them to be. Unless they're aspen trees. You can tell they're aspens 'cause the way they are.

- The calculations done in the threads such as the one you linked are grossly oversimplifying and not accurate or correct.

- Since like the first two weeks of 1.8 the forge devs have been working hard to expand the model system to accommodate for more complicated use-cases.

- You can define models as a JSON model (vanilla), OBJ, B3D (forge has a loader for those) any other model format you like (if you write a loader for it) or just create your models entirely in code.

EDIT: Nvm, I found the forge example for loading OBJs

So does forge still have a loader for OBJs or should I make my own?

- Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they can't be the way you want them to be. Unless they're aspen trees. You can tell they're aspens 'cause the way they are.

The original blockstates file required a Cartesian product of states, each of which required a model file. For mods having N factorial permutations, the nightmare was positively medieval. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

But lo, Forge did invent an advanced blockstates format that could greatly simplify the process for mods possessing symmetry (and all well designed mods are so possessed). It also enabled a modder to move some information from model files to the blockstates file, so much so that many mods now need only a blockstates file (with references only to vanilla models).

MC itself is rumored to be advancing to a similarly intelligent design. Thank Forge for leading the way!

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.