Help for a forge newb

Miscfu

Hey guys. I recently got into forge and downloaded 30 or so mods on my pc.

Now that I have a setup I like, I wanted to play the same modset with my GF. So I have a couple questions.

First, she plays on mac and I play on pc. Should all the mods I downloaded be cross platform, or does it vary from mod to mod? (in which case Id probably have to go check each one)

Also, whats the easiest way to get all my same mods to her mac? Is there an easy way to copy paste my mods to her mac; or do we have to go on her mac and download them all individually?

Im completely new to forge and mods alltogether, so Im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, or if the answer should be obvious.

Thanks for the help!

All mods are cross-platform, unless they go out of their way to break that. I'm not aware of any mods that do this.

You can copy over your mods and config directories via a local network (if you have that set up) or upload them to something like DropBox/OneDrive from your computer and download them on her computer.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Awesome, thank you!

Oh, also... will all mods support local multiplayer? (Given that both players have the exact same mod setup?)

I have thaumcraft, tinkers, and a few of the ones I think work with MP; but I wasnt sure about Mo Creatures or any of the mods that were more complicated to install

All mods will work in any form of single or multiplayer unless the author screwed things up.

Most mods need to be installed on both the server and client, but some are client-only (e.g. minimaps, HUDs) or server-only (e.g. backup utilities).

In single player and local multiplayer the host client is running an integrated server in the background, so you can run server-only mods. The guest clients won't need to have these installed.

Installing client-only mods on the dedicated server will usually crash it, though a mod can specifically mark itself as client-only to avoid being loaded at all on the dedicated server.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Awesome, it sounds like I just need to copy my mods folder to her MAC and we should have local multiplayer up and running! We don't use a dedicated server, just the integrated LAN detection built into MC, so it seems like thats one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the help, that was a lot of good information to know! Ill try getting things working tonight and report back with the results.

UPDATE

So it worked! I just moved mods and configs over and startup was easy as pie!

Thank you so much for this, we both are really happy to play together!

One thing though, although all the mods seem to be working fine for us so far, our character models are glitched out for each other.

Example Here:

451EyGT.png

Is there something I did wrong in the file transfer? Maybe a common bug with forge? Or is it something else entirely?

If we can't fix this it's no big deal, everything else seems to be working. I was just wondering nevertheless.

I've never seen that happen, it's probably a bug in one of your mods.

If you want to narrow it down, try removing mods that modify character models in some way until you find which one causes it.