1.9 make use of item models that only exist in code

UberAffe

I have an item type which generates an IFlexibleBakedModel based on it's nbt information. I have that model stored so that it only needs to get generated once. But how do I actually go about using that model when the item is rendered?

Edit:

Ended up updating to 1.9

Current Project: Armerger 

Planned mods: Light Drafter  | Ore Swords

Looking for help getting a mod off the ground? Coding  | Textures

If by pre-generated you mean during pre-postInit no. The available instances get created by the player in-game, some will be loaded from a file and could be generated during pre-postInit, the only way to make all of them available during pre-postInit would be to force a server restart each time they add an instance which I do not want to do.

I have this in my ClientProxy#postInit

ModelResourceLocation itemModel = Refs.modelResourceLocation;
ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MeleeCore.meleeCore, 0, itemModel);	

This is what I have for the ModelBakeEvent

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@SubscribeEvent
public void onModelBakeEvent(ModelBakeEvent event)
{
	 Object obj = event.modelRegistry.getObject(DraftableSmartItemModel.modelResourceLocation);
	 if(obj instanceof IBakedModel)
	 {
		 event.modelRegistry.putObject(DraftableSmartItemModel.modelResourceLocation, new DraftableSmartItemModel());
	 }
}

Here is what I have for ISmartItemModel:

public class DraftableSmartItemModel implements ISmartItemModel{

public static final ModelResourceLocation modelResourceLocation = new ModelResourceLocation(Refs.MODID + ":draftable_Item","inventory"); // this file doesn't exist

@Override
public IFlexibleBakedModel handleItemState(ItemStack stack) {
      IFlexibleBakedModel model = null;
      if(stack.getTagCompound().hasKey(Refs.DRAFTABLE) && DraftableReg.Exists(stack.getTagCompound().getString(Refs.DRAFTABLE)))
         model = DraftableReg.getModel(stack.getTagCompound().getString(Refs.DRAFTABLE));
      return model;
   }
}

This is in the item class(I have my own registry of instances of this class)

public ItemStack CreateItem() {
	LogHelper.info("creating " + name);
	ItemStack toReturn = new ItemStack(this, 1, 0);
	NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();
	tag.setString(Refs.DRAFTABLE, name);
	toReturn.setTagCompound(tag);
	return toReturn;
}

The models are just showing up as purple and black boxes. Is there something wrong with how I am assigning the models to the items?

postInit because I'm a noob when it comes to this, moved to preInit and both places now use

Refs.modelResourceLocation, I just moved the variable from DraftableSmartItemModel to Refs.

These are in DraftableReg

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public static IFlexibleBakedModel GetModel(String draftItem) {
	return models.get(draftItem);
}

public static void RegisterDraftable(IDraftable draftable){
	LogHelper.info("Registering Draftable :" + draftable.GetName());
	knowledgeBase.put(draftable.GetName(), draftable);
}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public static void RegisterDraftableModel(IDraftable draftable){
	LogHelper.info("Registering Model for :" + draftable.GetName());
	models.put(draftable.GetName(), new DraftableBakedModel(draftable));
}

My proxies have a Register method that gets used to call either one or both of these register methods.

I put a breakpoint in GetModel and it doesn't get called, so something is still wrong with how I am assigning my DraftableSmartItemModel to the items.

I put a breakpoint in handleItemState and it never gets called so no.

This is the only error I can find in the log

[12:00:39] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception loading model for variant lidr:draftable_Item#inventory for item "lidr:lidr_defaultmelee"
java.lang.Exception: Could not load model definition for variant lidr:draftable_Item#inventory
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:215) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.loadItems(ModelLoader.java:259) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.setupModelRegistry(ModelLoader.java:116) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelManager.onResourceManagerReload(ModelManager.java:28) [ModelManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.notifyReloadListeners(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:130) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.reloadResources(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:111) [simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.refreshResources(Minecraft.java:772) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.finishMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:326) [FMLClientHandler.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.startGame(Minecraft.java:532) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:360) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:116) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_45]
at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97) [start/:?]
at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26) [start/:?]
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Encountered an exception when loading model definition of model lidr:blockstates/draftable_Item.json
at net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelBakery.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelBakery.java:165) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:211) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
... 22 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: lidr:blockstates/draftable_Item.json
at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.getAllResources(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:82) ~[simpleReloadableResourceManager.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.resources.model.ModelBakery.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelBakery.java:143) ~[ModelBakery.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.getModelBlockDefinition(ModelLoader.java:211) ~[ModelLoader.class:?]
... 22 more
[12:00:39] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Model definition for location lidr:draftable_Item#inventory not found

Ok so I have all of that in place now but there is one problem.

ISmartItemModel extends IBakedModel not IFlexibleBakedModel and bake wants an IFlexibleBakedModel.

Do I just need to update my forge version to fix this (im using 1764)?

You can implement two? Idk, I am alredy on 1.9 where there are no longer any of those. I totally skipped 1.8.9 (meaning I didn't touch rendering knowing that it will change).

And yeah - I suggest going to 1.9 directly, a lot of stuff has been replaced.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Alright so I now have gotten rid of all the obvious errors in code after updateing to 1.9 and I am essentially at the same point again. So for custom item model in 1.9 do I use a similar process as what you described but only using IBakedModel or is it something else?

ICustomModelLoader

public class DraftableModelLoader implements ICustomModelLoader{

@Override
public void onResourceManagerReload(IResourceManager resourceManager) {	}

@Override
public boolean accepts(ResourceLocation modelLocation) {
	return Refs.modelResourceLocation == modelLocation;
}

@Override
public IModel loadModel(ResourceLocation modelLocation) throws Exception {
	return new DraftableModel();
}
}

IModel

public class DraftableModel implements IModel{

@Override
public Collection<ResourceLocation> getDependencies() {
	return ImmutableList.of();
}

@Override
public Collection<ResourceLocation> getTextures() {
	return ImmutableList.of();
}

@Override
public IBakedModel bake(IModelState state, VertexFormat format,
		Function<ResourceLocation, TextureAtlasSprite> bakedTextureGetter) {
	return DraftableBakedModel.instance;
}

@Override
public IModelState getDefaultState() {
	return TRSRTransformation.identity();
}
}

IBakedModel

public class DraftableBakedModel implements IBakedModel{

public static final DraftableBakedModel instance = new DraftableBakedModel();

private DraftableBakedModel() {
}

@Override
public ItemOverrideList getOverrides() {
	return new DraftableOverrideList(null);
}
        // removed code that handles creating BakedQuads from an IDraftable
}

ItemOverrideList

public class DraftableOverrideList extends ItemOverrideList{

public DraftableOverrideList(List<ItemOverride> overridesIn) {
	super(overridesIn);
}

@Override
public IBakedModel handleItemState(IBakedModel originalModel, ItemStack stack, World world, EntityLivingBase entity)
    {
        Item item = stack.getItem();
        if (item instanceof DraftingItemCore)
        {
            return DraftableReg.GetModel(((NBTTagCompound)stack.getTagCompound().getTag(Refs.MODID)).getString("name"));
        }
        return originalModel;
    }
}

I have this in my ClientProxy#preInit

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MeleeCore.meleeCore, 0, Refs.modelResourceLocation);
ModelLoaderRegistry.registerLoader(new DraftableModelLoader());

and this in my CommonProxy#preInit

GameRegistry.registerItem(MeleeCore.meleeCore, Refs.MODID + "_" + MeleeCore.meleeCore.GetName());

in my ICustomModelLoader#accepts I put this

@Override
public boolean accepts(ResourceLocation modelLocation) {
	if(Refs.modelResourceLocation == modelLocation)
		Refs.NOP();
	return Refs.modelResourceLocation == modelLocation;
}

when I put a breakpoint on the nop it never gets triggered.

which means that

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(MeleeCore.meleeCore, 0, Refs.modelResourceLocation);

isn't doing what I thought it was.

Ok so I have it using my models now, I need to compare the modelResourceLocations with .equals not ==, I hate when that is the problem.

Anyways my Models seem to be completely transparent, so on to how I am creating the models.

public DraftableBakedModel(IDraftable draft){
	 DraftableMap parts = draft.GetPartArray();
	 for(int xPos = 0; xPos < parts.GetWidth(); xPos++){
		 for(int yPos = 0; yPos < parts.GetHeight(); yPos++){
            for(int zPos = 0; zPos < parts.GetDepth(); zPos++){
               if(parts.GetPart(xPos + "," + yPos + "," + zPos) != null)
            	   quads.addAll(parts.GetPart(xPos + "," + yPos + "," + zPos).GetQuadsAt(xPos, yPos, zPos));
            }
		 }
	 }
 }

in the IPartType implementation

public List<BakedQuad> GetQuadsAt(int offX, int offY, int offZ) {
	List<BakedQuad> list = new ArrayList<BakedQuad>();
	BakedQuad quad;
	//North
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.NORTH),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.NORTH, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	//Up
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.UP),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.UP, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	//East
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.EAST),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.EAST, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	//South
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.SOUTH),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.SOUTH, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	//Down
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.DOWN),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.DOWN, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	//West
	quad = new BakedQuad(applyOffset(getVertices(EnumFacing.WEST),offX,offY,offZ), 0, EnumFacing.WEST, null, true, new VertexFormat());
	list.add(quad);
	return list;
}

private int[] getVertices(EnumFacing face) {
	switch(face){
	case NORTH:
		return north();
	case EAST:
		return east();
	case WEST:
		return west();
	case SOUTH:
		return south();
	case UP:
		return up();
	case DOWN:
		return down();
	default:
		return null;
	}
}

private int[] north() {
	int[] vertices = new int[28];
	//top left
	vertices[0] = 0; //x
	vertices[1] = 0; //y
	vertices[2] = 0; //z
	vertices[3] = asInt(luxin.GetColor()); // rrggbbaa
	vertices[4] = 0; //u 
	vertices[5] = 0; //v
	vertices[6] = 0; //unused
	//top right
	vertices[7] = 1; //x
	vertices[8] = 0; //y
	vertices[9] = 0; //z
	vertices[10] = asInt(luxin.GetColor()); // rrggbbaa
	vertices[11] = 0; //u 
	vertices[12] = 0; //v
	vertices[13] = 0; //unused
	//bottom right
	vertices[14] = 1; //x
	vertices[15] = 1; //y
	vertices[16] = 0; //z
	vertices[17] = asInt(luxin.GetColor()); // rrggbbaa
	vertices[18] = 0; //u 
	vertices[19] = 0; //v
	vertices[20] = 0; //unused
	//bottom left
	vertices[21] = 0; //x
	vertices[22] = 1; //y
	vertices[23] = 0; //z
	vertices[24] = asInt(luxin.GetColor()); // rrggbbaa
	vertices[25] = 0; //u 
	vertices[26] = 0; //v
	vertices[27] = 0; //unused
	return vertices;
}

private int asInt(int[] color) {
	return (color[0]&0x0ff)<<24|(color[1]&0x0ff)<<16|(color[2]&0x0ff)<<8|(color[3]&0x0ff);//0 is r, 1 is g, 2 is b, 3 is a, &0x0ff limits each to 1 byte
}

and in my ILuxin implementations

public int[] GetColor() {
	return new int[]{0,0,255,127};
}

I'll be diving into minecraft code when I get home but I think I just need to figure out what minecraft does with the tint value. If they don't use it I may need to write my own ItemRenderer, if I do need to do you have any suggested resources to help me accomplish that?