[1.8.8] Method not found: Loader.getModClassLoader

jeffryfisher

I compiled in Forge build 1450 (mc 1.8 ), and I am trying to run in Forge client build 1655 (mc 1.8.8 ) which was supposed to be compatible. Maybe I need some conditional code?

Near as I can tell, this method exists, although the newer version might return a subclass of what I'm looking for. I can't figure out why this blows sky high.

My method, the problem line near the top:

public JRFmod (String m, boolean testing) {

ClassLoader mcl = Loader.instance ().getModClassLoader ();  // <-- Line 122, which crashes

this.testing = testing;

if (side.isServer ()) {            // Dedicated server

proxy = new classProxy (m);

return;

} // else

// Else we're loading client-side

try {                              // Use reflection to create client-side proxy without importing

proxy = (classProxyClient) Class.forName (m + ".classModProxyClient", true, mcl).newInstance ();

} catch (Exception e) {

System.out.println (m + " failed to instantiate classModProxyClient because " + e.toString ());

throw new LoaderException (e);

}

if (testing && tabTest == null) {  // testing should always be false by the time a mod goes to server

tabTest = new CreativeTabs ("Testing") {

public Item getTabIconItem() {

return Items.brewing_stand;

}

};

}

}

Crash report:

net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.getModClassLoader()Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;

at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.LoadController.transition(LoadController.java:162)

at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.loadMods(Loader.java:536)

at net.minecraftforge.fml.client.FMLClientHandler.beginMinecraftLoading(FMLClientHandler.java:205)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:417)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:329)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: net.minecraftforge.fml.common.Loader.getModClassLoader()Ljava/lang/ClassLoader;

at jrfshare.classJRFmod.<init>(classJRFmod.java:122)

at jrfwalls.classAnystoneWallsMod.<init>(classAnystoneWallsMod.java:24)

In version 1.8.8, the getModClassLoader method returns a URLClassLoader instance, which should be an extension of ClassLoader, therefore assignable to my local variable. Am I reading this wrong, or have I missed a key rule in Java?

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

It seems that Java bytecode explicitly stores the return type of the method, so it's looking for a method that returns

ClassLoader

rather than

URLClassLoader

(even though one is a subclass of the other). Recompiling against 1.8.8 without any changes to the code should work, but using code compiled against 1.8 won't (at least in this specific case).

Side note: Why are you using the

ClassLoader

? It looks like you're reinventing the

@SidedProxy

system.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

It seems that Java bytecode explicitly stores the return type of the method, so it's looking for a method that returns

ClassLoader

rather than

URLClassLoader

(even though one is a subclass of the other). Recompiling against 1.8.8 without any changes to the code should work, but using code compiled against 1.8 won't (at least in this specific case).

I'll try a cast, and then I'll see if code compiled for 1.8.8 will run in a 1.8 world (1.8.9 has already failed, so I am pessimistic).

Side note: Why are you using the
ClassLoader

? It looks like you're reinventing the

@SidedProxy

system.

Yup, that's it, copied almost line for line. It's in an abstract "mod" class that is parent to each mod's main class.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

It's a lost cause. I nerfed the offending line to see what I could see beyond, and it wasn't pretty. My mods ran afoul of some other missing elements (complaints about BlockCompressed among other things). I think that a mod compiled in mc 1.8 and using certain features simply can't run (or can't run simply) in a Forge for 1.8.8. Some classes and their methods are just not quite compatible.

Now a client compiled by and running 1.8.8 or 1.8.9 might be able to login successfully to a server and world using just 1.8, but I'm not being paid enough to port a bunch of mods to a risky level just to find out.

So I'll try to revise my compatibility checklist at CurseForge and aim my 1.8 client and server at the latest Forge build for 1.8 (not 1.8.8 ). When I'm ready to start another whole new world, I'll skip all of the way to a recommended Forge build for 1.9+ with no expectation of compatibility.

@D7, regarding why: Each of my mods' main classes is an extension of a home-grown abstract mod class. That abstract class sets up many elements, including proxies, common to all of my mods. It also has some comments to remind me to do some other routine things I couldn't express in Java.

Yes, it's a pain when it changes, forcing all of my mods to a new version so they can continue to operate together. However, it's nice when I get something to work just right in that one place, and every mod (including the next one I write) inherits that success.

It's probably poor style, but my common proxy benefits from being declared inside of that abstract mod class where it gains visibility to a few fields such as mod name. My mods' various (external) client proxies eventually use methods that access those fields. It's all horribly incestuous, but like the compatibility fight, I'm not being paid enough to go much beyond having fun with it (and devising a workable abstract mod class was actually fun).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • I cant craft any of the epic fight mod weapons. I try using the recipes in the crafting table but nothing is working. and when i click on the epic fight weapon in jei there is no recipe at all.
    • Oklahoma Nation Cowboys at Youngstown Country PenguinsYoungstown, Ohio; Wednesday, 7 p.m. EDTBOTTOM LINE: The Youngstown Region Penguins facial area the Oklahoma Country Cowboys within the Countrywide Invitation Penguins include absent 15-5 versus Horizon League rivals, with a 9-4 history within non-meeting participate in. Youngstown Region is 1-2 inside online games resolved as a result of considerably less than 4 facts. The Cowboys are 8-10 in just Massive 12 engage in. Oklahoma Region ranks 9th within just the Large 12 taking pictures 31.1% towards 3-stage wide PERFORMERS: Dwayne Cohill is averaging 17.8 details and 4.8 helps for the Penguins. Adrian Nelson is averaging 17.1 info higher than the remaining 10 game titles for Youngstown Thompson is averaging 11.7 details for the Cowboys. Caleb Asberry is averaging 13.1 facts about the very last 10 video games for Oklahoma last 10 Video games: Penguins: 7-3 Zeke Zaragoza Jersey, averaging 79.7 info, 33.4 rebounds, 14.8 helps, 5.3 steals and 2.7 blocks for each video game despite the fact that capturing 48.1% versus the marketplace. Their rivals incorporate averaged 72.4 details for every : 4-6, averaging 66.4 specifics, 33.1 rebounds, 11.1 helps Jake Henry Jersey, 4.9 steals and 3.6 blocks for each sport even though taking pictures 41.3% towards the sector. Their rivals consist of averaged 72.0 info. The made this tale making use of technological innovation delivered by means of Information and facts Skrive and info against Sportradar. Cowboys Shop
    • Oklahoma Nation Cowboys at Youngstown Country PenguinsYoungstown, Ohio; Wednesday, 7 p.m. EDTBOTTOM LINE: The Youngstown Region Penguins facial area the Oklahoma Country Cowboys within the Countrywide Invitation Penguins include absent 15-5 versus Horizon League rivals, with a 9-4 history within non-meeting participate in. Youngstown Region is 1-2 inside online games resolved as a result of considerably less than 4 facts. The Cowboys are 8-10 in just Massive 12 engage in. Oklahoma Region ranks 9th within just the Large 12 taking pictures 31.1% towards 3-stage wide PERFORMERS: Dwayne Cohill is averaging 17.8 details and 4.8 helps for the Penguins. Adrian Nelson is averaging 17.1 info higher than the remaining 10 game titles for Youngstown Thompson is averaging 11.7 details for the Cowboys. Caleb Asberry is averaging 13.1 facts about the very last 10 video games for Oklahoma last 10 Video games: Penguins: 7-3 Zeke Zaragoza Jersey, averaging 79.7 info, 33.4 rebounds, 14.8 helps, 5.3 steals and 2.7 blocks for each video game despite the fact that capturing 48.1% versus the marketplace. Their rivals incorporate averaged 72.4 details for every : 4-6, averaging 66.4 specifics, 33.1 rebounds, 11.1 helps Jake Henry Jersey, 4.9 steals and 3.6 blocks for each sport even though taking pictures 41.3% towards the sector. Their rivals consist of averaged 72.0 info. The made this tale making use of technological innovation delivered by means of Information and facts Skrive and info against Sportradar. Cowboys Shop
    • DUTA89 agen slot online terbaik dan sering memberikan kemenangan kepada setiap member yang deposit diatas 50k dengan tidak klaim bonus sepeser pun.   Link daftar : https://heylink.me/DUTA89OFFICIAL/  
    • Hello All! Started a MC Eternal 1.6.2.2 server on Shockbyte hosting. The only other mod I added was betterfarmland v0.0.8BETA. Server is 16GB and Shockbyte wont tell me how many CPU cores i have.  We are having problems now when players log in it seems to crash the server. At other times it seems fine and we can have 3 people playing for hours at a time. Usually always when it does crash it is when someone logs in. Crash Reports Below. To the person who can post the fix I will reward $100 via Paypal.   ---- Minecraft Crash Report ---- // This is a token for 1 free hug. Redeem at your nearest Mojangsta: [~~HUG~~] Time: 2024-09-19 21:04:58 UTC Description: Exception in server tick loop java.lang.StackOverflowError     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.hasCompletedChildrenOrSelf(PlayerAdvancements.java:451)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.shouldBeVisible(PlayerAdvancements.java:419)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:385)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:406)     at net.minecraft.advancements.PlayerAdvancements.ensureVisibility(PlayerAdvancements.java:411)     at net.minecraft.advancements.P  
  • Topics

• Who's Online (See full list)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.