[1.9] Are tile entities loaded before or after entities?

octonion

I have a simple entity class:

[pre]

public class EntityTiled extends Entity {

private TileEntity tile;

public EntityTiled(World world) {

super(world)

}

public void readEntityFromNBT(NBTTagCompound nbt) { /* Some code */ }

public void writeEntityToNBT(NBTTagCompound nbt) { /* Some code */ }

}

[/pre]

Is it safe to call world.getTileEntity method when readEntityFromNBT is called? Similarly is it safe to call world.getTileEntity in writeEntityToNBT method?

Thanks in advance.

Okay im not sure what exactly you want. Are we talking about tileentities(te) inside a te (title) or are we talking about a te inside an entity (post)?

Anyway. You shouldn't store a TileEntity ANYWHERE. Just store the position of the te as variable (blockpos) and get it via world#getTileEntity everytime you need it

Okay im not sure what exactly you want. Are we talking about tileentities(te) inside a te (title) or are we talking about a te inside an entity (post)?

Anyway. You shouldn't store a TileEntity ANYWHERE. Just store the position of the te as variable (blockpos) and get it via world#getTileEntity everytime you need it

Sorry there was a typo in the title.  I'm trying to store a tile entity inside an entity and vice versa.

You need direct and fallback references to do this.

There can be situation in which either one of those is not loaded in world. In that case you can't do much (you can force loading TileEntity, but not Entity).

Remember that - handle it somehow.

As to how to store: (example)

In Entity:

Fields:

int x, y, z;

TileEnttiy te;

Use NBT to save/load x/y/z. Whenever you need to access it you want to ask "te" first, if null - set it using x/y/z.

In TileEntity:

Fields:

UUID uuid;

Entity entity;

Use NBT to save/load uuid. Whenever you need to access Entity you ask "entity" first, if null - find and set it using uuid. Look into World.class for uuid methods (use search and look for any UUID related stuff). I don't remember exact method name :D

UUID can be nicely serialized to 2 longs which can be put to NBT. (UUID#getMostSignificantBits() and UUID#getLeastSignificantBits())

You can also save it as String, but it is worse.

Note (again): It is impossible to always have reference from Tile to Entity and vice versa, they can be NOT loaded to world, you can't do much about it. If you NEED some fallback algorithms to handle it you can schelude them to run first thing after entity/tile is loaded.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements