[1.8.9] How to get smooth custom entity movement

gerg

Hi guys I'm trying to get my custom entity to move smoothly throughout the world like all vanilla mobs. However the movement seems choppy at best. Here is a video I just made to demonstrate it.

As you can see the movement is quite choppy compared to normal mobs. What vanilla classes should I look at to check how MC handles smooth movement? Here is my BaseEntity file that my mob extends (no extra functionality in the subclass):

package com.gerg.catology.entity;

import com.gerg.catology.items.CatologyItems;

import net.minecraft.entity.EntityAgeable;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAIFollowParent;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAILookIdle;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAIMate;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAIPanic;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAISwimming;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAITempt;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAIWander;
import net.minecraft.entity.ai.EntityAIWatchClosest;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityTameable;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.init.Items;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathNavigateGround;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class BaseEntity extends EntityTameable {

public BaseEntity(World worldIn) {
	super(worldIn);

//sets up the ai for lil kitty cats
	//setupAI();
        ((PathNavigateGround)this.getNavigator()).setAvoidsWater(true);
        this.tasks.addTask(0, new EntityAISwimming(this));
        this.tasks.addTask(1, new EntityAIPanic(this, 1.25D));
        this.tasks.addTask(2, new EntityAIMate(this, 1.0D));
        this.tasks.addTask(3, new EntityAITempt(this, 1.1D, Items.wheat, false));
        this.tasks.addTask(4, new EntityAIFollowParent(this, 1.1D));
        //this.tasks.addTask(5, this.entityAIEatGrass);
        this.tasks.addTask(6, new EntityAIWander(this, 1.0D));
        this.tasks.addTask(7, new EntityAIWatchClosest(this, EntityPlayer.class, 6.0F));
        this.tasks.addTask(8, new EntityAILookIdle(this));
        //this.inventoryCrafting.setInventorySlotContents(0, new ItemStack(Items.dye, 1, 0));
        //this.inventoryCrafting.setInventorySlotContents(1, new ItemStack(Items.dye, 1, 0));
}

protected void clearAITasks(){
	tasks.taskEntries.clear();
	targetTasks.taskEntries.clear();
}

protected void setupAI() {		
	clearAITasks();
}

@Override
public EntityAgeable createChild(EntityAgeable ageable) {
	// TODO Auto-generated method stub
	return null;
}

}

Those tasks were copied directly from EntitySheep.class and I commented some out that I couldn't use directly, but those shouldn't matter. Also note that for some reason the only task that seems to work is the EntityAITempt one, when I hit my mob it doesn't run around crazy like normal ones do. Nor does it wander when nothing else is happening.

Check out the EntityRegistry.registerModEntity() method you use to register your custom entity:

public static void registerModEntity(Class<? extends Entity> entityClass, String entityName, int id, Object mod, int trackingRange, int updateFrequency, boolean sendsVelocityUpdates)
    {
        instance().doModEntityRegistration(entityClass, entityName, id, mod, trackingRange, updateFrequency, sendsVelocityUpdates);
    }

The updateFrequency argument is what you want. Lower that number and your entity will move smoother.

Oh man I can't believe I didn't remember that one thanks! I changed the param to 2 and that is so much nicer, do you happen to know what MC uses for vanilla? Also any ideas as to why no other AI class is working other than tempt?

EDIT: Nevermind I think the issue is with me altering AI in between different mod builds, the old AI seems to stop working and I must spawn a new one to see changes. I'm so dumb.  :(

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements