Excessive memory usage during baking

Chryseus

Hi, I'm posting on behalf of a user of my pack who is unable to pass the texture baking phase without an out of memory error, I myself have noticed this issue but was able to fix it by increasing -Xmx to 4GB, however for this person even -Xmx 6g does not fix the problem, the only sure fix is to reduce the mod count, no mod in particular seems to be the cause.

During the baking process the total memory usage reaches 6.3GB before crashing, there is also 100% CPU utilization, in my case it doesn't exceed 3.8GB which leads me to believe the CPU performance may be a factor in the high memory usage I7 4790 v AMD Phenom II X4 955.

System specifications:

AMD Phenom II X4 955

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 7

8GB page file

Java 8 u91

Forge 2094 for Minecraft 1.10.2

Launch options:

-XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+AggressiveHeap -Xmn256m -Xmx 6g

Logs:

http://pastebin.com/RvCUhepC

http://pastebin.com/nE62Hcew

Also is there a way to cache baked textures to disk ? it seems a bit wasteful to repeat the process every run, as far as I understand it the baking only needs to be redone when the model or texture is changed.

I believe I've found a solution, it appears to be an issue with the garbage collector, removing the aggressive optimizations seems to fix the problem, also adding -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit may fix the problem, a good solution I think on the forge side of things would be to limit the CPU usage ensuring the garbage collector doesn't grind to halt which triggers the GCOverheadLimit or a reduction in memory usage.

Why did he even have those "aggressive" options? According to my JVM knowledge, using

-XX:+AggressiveHeap

allows the JVM to use up all the physical RAM installed, and if it does, it crashes.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/