Where can I find the phantom block?

gurujive

The phantom block has properties of spider web and a barrier block, In that it is invisible and when you come into contact with it you stick to it.

How do I access this block? I know it exists and it has 2 properties. (at least 2 properties)

The difference between spider web and phantom block is that a player doesn't slide through a phantom block like a spider web, but rather sticks, similar to a glue block. (if that existed)

The difference between barrier and phantom is you can't see it in creative mode when wielding an item.

Also, when walking across the top of them, it is as though the player is falling/sliding across the top.

It reduces run speed to a brutal crawl.

Its like a slime/spider/barrier block, without an item. Where is this glue block though...?

I would more-so like to just be able to know and see the properties of this block, rather than recreate some kind of backdoor block that semi-exists.

Wouldn't hurt to be able to fill and setblock with it though.

What is the phantom block? is it a block? is it found with other blocks? I know its not an entity because it snaps to the grid like other blocks do. Does it extend block?.... :| is it hidden...? can I not access this through forge?

Its a vanilla block for certain, can make em with armorstands and executing fallingsand in motion while /tp ing the armorstand towards a direction.

It sounds like this may only exist as a result of a bug rather than being a proper block.

Do you have a way to reliably create it? If you look at it with the F3 debug info active, is the block's registry name/state shown?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Another interesting thing to note about these blocks is that blocks can be placed where they exist, as if an entity was occupying the location, but when you place the block it will turn into another (block entity displacement or something?). I do have a way of recreating this block (which has worked for a long time). Allow me to demonstrate:

(I had F3+h active as well)

Here are the commands you will need and relative command block information, I'm playing on the 1.11 snapshot atm so they may be kungfu with earlier versions.

Once you get them set up all you need to do is push a button to summon the armorstand then pull a lever and then pull the lever back up (depending on how many phantom blocks you would like)

impulse, unconditional, needs redstone - button/lever
/summon armor_stand ~1 ~0.4 ~ {CustomName:"happyfeet",NoGravity:1b,Invisible:0b,ArmorItems:[{},{},{},{id:bedrock,Count:1b}]}

repeat, unconditional, needs redstone - attach lever
/tp @e[type=armor_stand,name=happyfeet] ~0.042 ~ ~ ~3 ~

chain, conditional, always active - attached to repeat command block.
/execute @e[type=armor_stand] ~ ~ ~ /summon falling_block ~ ~ ~ {Time:40,Block:"minecraft:log",Data:3,DropItem:0,Motion:[0.0,0.-51,0.0]}

Here are some pictures:

The armorstand printing the phantom blocks:

R0mQuy7.png

Me looking at a phantom block:

buiQkAD.png

Me placing a block at/on? a phantom block and quickly taking a picture before what I place turns to log.

gHIRBJ5.png

Me standing on a phantom block:

hUaGffO.png

That's what you call a *REAL barrier block :P , ya know... if you couldn't just set blocks to slowly break it down.

You can do some pretty cool stuff with these things I've learned... they are pretty cool. I like em

Itsa' block I can stand on it. Existence confirmed. Now where's it at?

It's a bug. I replicated the phantom block with the commands you provided and ran /testforblock on the position of one of the phantom block; as I expected, it was a log. What I think you have here is a block being placed without causing a block update, plus some client/server desync(Yes, there is still a client and a server in SP). If you close and reopen the world, you'll find that the phantom blocks will turn into whatever they're supposed to be. I've had this same issue when a mod hasn't broken a block properly. I specifically remember having this issue with iChun's PortalGun or GravGun.

As Leviathan143 said, this is a client-server desync.

I copied your command block setup, ran it to create the "phantom" blocks and then fired this arrow at one of the blocks.

This was the chat output:

[sERVER] Block at 727,56,-498: minecraft:log[axis=y,variant=jungle]

[CLIENT] Block at 727,55,-495: minecraft:sandstone[type=sandstone]

You can see a video of this

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

what output do you get when doing the same with barrier blocks as the id instead of log?

the results work a bit different when using a barrier block to lay them.

the rotation thing is cool btw. I can make armorstands that do that... just place a fence underneath and you can stand and spin on them.

It appears as though I have clicked the wrong button to edit my post with.

isn't that nice :]?

what output do you get when doing the same with barrier blocks as the id instead of log?

the rotation thing is cool btw.

[sERVER] Block at 727,56,-498: minecraft:barrier

[CLIENT] Block at 727,55,-496: minecraft:sandstone[type=sandstone]

It's a bug. I replicated the phantom block with the commands you provided and ran /testforblock on the position of one of the phantom block; as I expected, it was a log.

but here's the catch, when you stood on it, it was not a log. when you looked at it, it was not a log. when you ran at it and stuck to the side of it... it was not a log. but it was a log? It could be any block for that matter though. But it still wouldn't be whatever it is.

I can also say they are not a bug because if you execute the falling_block at an entity going up and produce these, you can do so inside of blocks, such as a pillar 2x2 and 8 high. Going from the bottom, summon the entity in upward motion as to where it travels 8 blocks high inside of the blocks of the pillar. It will appear as though the pillar will fall downwards layer by layer and produce a pretty sweet looking animation.

8 high would be 8 fill commands to lower the pillar and 8 fill commands to raise the pillar and that would be 8 times of loading which would make the experience choppy if you had about 4 pillars, doing it layer by layer.

With execute and these it is execute the pillar up, so it shoots out of the ground. Then, shoot the pillar up out of the ground again (the same command executed twice) to lower the pillar back down layer by layer.

that's 1 command for up 1 command for down and 1 command to fill air and erase the phantom blocks. Way less lag, less commands, and it looks cooler.

-498 & -496?

how does that work....? lol, supposed to show the same result though correct?

-498 & -496?

how does that work....? lol, supposed to show the same result though correct?

On the server, the arrow hits the barrier block. On the client, it continues through that block space (because the client doesn't know there's a block there) and hits the ground underneath/behind it.

If you stand directly in front of the invisible block and fire an arrow pointed at the ground, the x and z coordinates are the same for both sides and the y coordinate is 1 lower on the client compared to the server.

It's a bug. I replicated the phantom block with the commands you provided and ran /testforblock on the position of one of the phantom block; as I expected, it was a log.

but here's the catch, when you stood on it, it was not a log. when you looked at it, it was not a log. when you ran at it and stuck to the side of it... it was not a log. but it was a log? It could be any block for that matter though. But it still wouldn't be whatever it is.

Actually it is a log, at least serverside, clientside it is air. The sticky behaviour is caused by the server and client disagreeing on where the player can go; the client says "There's air there, the player can walk inside that block", however the server says "There's a log there, the player cannot walk inside that block" and moves the player outside of the block. The client still thinks there is air there, so it continues to attempt to move the player inside the block, causing the server to move the player outside of the block again. This repeats until the client and server agree, either because the block has recieved an update or because the client has stopped attempting to move the player into the block. It looks like air because the client handles rendering and it thinks that the block is air.

I can also say they are not a bug because if you execute the falling_block at an entity going up and produce these, you can do so inside of blocks, such as a pillar 2x2 and 8 high. Going from the bottom, summon the entity in upward motion as to where it travels 8 blocks high inside of the blocks of the pillar. It will appear as though the pillar will fall downwards layer by layer and produce a pretty sweet looking animation.

8 high would be 8 fill commands to lower the pillar and 8 fill commands to raise the pillar and that would be 8 times of loading which would make the experience choppy if you had about 4 pillars, doing it layer by layer.

With execute and these it is execute the pillar up, so it shoots out of the ground. Then, shoot the pillar up out of the ground again (the same command executed twice) to lower the pillar back down layer by layer.

that's 1 command for up 1 command for down and 1 command to fill air and erase the phantom blocks. Way less lag, less commands, and it looks cooler.

It is a bug, I know what I'm talking about. I can provide more proof that it is a log if you are still not convinced.