[1.10.2] [UNSOLVED] Player item crafting or creative tab?

Bektor

Hi,

I've got an item which shows a random text and saves which text it displayes, so that it never changes. I'm doing this with an NBTTagCompound from the item stack in the tooltip method. Now I am wondering how I can show the player something like "Unknown Type" when the item is not yet crafted or the player sees it in the creative tab, because it looks weird when the crafting table and the creative tab shows a different text then the actual item has when you get it in your inventory.

Example Item Tooltip:

inCreative Tab: Hello World!

inCrafting Table: Hello World!

in actual Inventory: Test Message!

What I want:

inCreative Tab: Unknown Type

inCrafting Table: Unknown Type

in actual Inventory: Test Message!

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Developer of Primeval Forest.

In

Item#addInformation

, check if the

ItemStack

has already had its random text generated. If it has, display that text; else display the default text.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

In

Item#addInformation

, check if the

ItemStack

has already had its random text generated. If it has, display that text; else display the default text.

Well, how can I check if a random text was already generated? (I'm currently saving the id of the text in NBT Data for the item, so it get's not lost)

Why would you want it to show something different in the crafting table? This goes against the entire crafting mechanic, that you can see what you will get.

Well, because when I save it to NBT and then let it craft, it shows in the crafting grid for example the text 1 and as soon as it is crafted it shows text 2. Same goes for Creative Tab.

Then you are doing something wrong. Show your code.

public class ItemCeuiScript extends Item
{

private Random random = new Random();

public ItemCeuiScript(String unlocalizedName, String registryName)
{
	this.setMaxStackSize(1);
	this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName);
	this.setCreativeTab(ModCreativeTab.cTab);
	this.setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID, registryName));
}

@Override
public void onCreated(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn) {
	super.onCreated(stack, worldIn, playerIn);
	this.getLoreIndex(stack);
}

private int getLoreIndex(ItemStack stack)
{
	if(!stack.hasTagCompound())
		stack.setTagCompound(new NBTTagCompound());

if(!stack.getTagCompound().hasKey("lore")) 
	{
		int chapter = this.random.nextInt( + 1;
		stack.getTagCompound().setInteger("lore", UtilsScCeui.getIndexFromID(chapter));
	}

return stack.getTagCompound().getInteger("lore");
}

@Override
public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer playerIn, List<String> tooltip, boolean advanced) 
{
	tooltip.add(UtilsScCeui.getTypeFromID(getLoreIndex(stack)).getText());
}
}

I think you might need a custom IRecipe then.

But having a custom IRecipe (no idea how to do it) wouldn't change the problem with the creative tab. There it's also showing a different text then when you put it in your inventory.

And the problem seems to come from that when you put your item into inventory the nbt data isn't saved and is re-created. Which I assume also happens when you haven't closed the crafting table and have the item in inventory.

And when having a custom IRecipe, despite the fact that it would propably not fix the problem, I'm wondering how this works with mod compatibility and stuff like custom crafting tables from other mods or the AE system.

In

Item#addInformation

, check if the

ItemStack

Well, how can I check if a random text was already generated? (I'm currently saving the id of the text in NBT Data for the item, so it get's not lost)

Your

getLoreIndex

method checks if the

ItemStack

's compound tag has the

"lore"

key, use the same check in

addInformation

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Hm... after a little testing the cause of the problem, that the item text changes as soon as you put it in your inventory could be caused by the

onCreated

method, that this method is somehow causing that the nbt data will be re-created or re-set.

And without having it (so without having the

onCreated

method) I just can craft the item and then put it in my inventory. Item has text 1. When I click on it, so that I've got it "over" the inventory and then place it back into the inventory (in the same slot) it has the text 2. As soon as I close the crafting GUI and open it again the problem is gone with that item, but when I craft a new one it occurs with the new one. When pulling items from creative tab into inventory it does not happen somehow the last 2 times I tested a few minutes ago.

Also the game seems to remember the NBT Tag of the item in the creative slot. As soon as I get my mouse over it to see the tooltip it shows me for example text 1. When I now close the creative inv and re-open it, the item stills shows the text 1. Only when I then re-start the Game (didn't tested with re-opening the world) it chooses a new random text because the NBT Data of the item in the creative inventory is gone (all items in the inventory still got their data and show the text they showed before).

So not sure what's going on there.... Just wrote down here what I've found out with some testing in the last 15-20 minutes.

In

Item#addInformation

, check if the

ItemStack

Your

getLoreIndex

method checks if the

ItemStack

's compound tag has the

"lore"

addInformation

Well, what would be the benefit of having the same check I've got in

getLoreIndex

in

addInformation

as of my

addInformation

method is currently calling the

getLoreIndex

method.

In

Item#addInformation

, check if the

ItemStack

Your

getLoreIndex

method checks if the

ItemStack

's compound tag has the

"lore"

addInformation

Well, what would be the benefit of having the same check I've got in

getLoreIndex

in

addInformation

as of my

addInformation

method is currently calling the

getLoreIndex

method.

So you can avoid generating the random lore index from

addInformation

In pseudocode:

String tooltipLine;
if (hasLoreIndex(stack)) {
tooltipLine = getLoreText(getLoreIndex(stack)); // The lore index has already been generated, so display the corresponding lore text in the tooltip
} else {
tooltipLine = getDefaultText(); // The lore index hasn't been generated yet, so don't generate it by calling getLoreIndex; display the default text instead
}