[1.10.2] Biome Generation Help?

SureenInk

I'm trying to create biomes in 1.10.2, but the latest biome tutorials I can find are for 1.7, and those use syntaxes that appear to no longer exist. I want to make a biome, put some custom trees in the biome, then have it spawn in the world, and I don't know how to do any of that. Can someone help?

Is it possible to make it spawn without having to make a WorldProvider (or whatever the thing is called where you select like Superflat and stuff)? I'd like to make it so the player doesn't have to select the specific world generation just to make my biomes spawn... I'd like it to be compatible with other mods, so people can use this and Biomes O Plenty and stuff.

I have not created any biomes myself, though I run run into the

BiomeManager

a couple of times, which I have seen has a method called

BiomeManager.addBiome(BiomeType type, BiomeEntry entry)

If I remember correctly, ChunkProviders only call the WorldProvider, which call the BiomeProvider, which call the method

getBiomesForGeneration

which returns a list of all biomes, through the use of

Biome#getBiomeForID(int)

that is looped through.

As it stands, any registered biome should thus spawn in the world, no matter what ChunkProvider or WorldProvider is used (as long as they don't do what the Nether/End's chunkproviders do, and only contain a single biome etc)

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

While it is nice if someone has made a nice tutorial, the reality is that the people who write the tutorials have to figure it out themselves so why not just learn to figure things out yourself.

As you mentioned, between versions things changes. Sometimes it is very simple to figure out yourself what is the new way. I give some tips on how to update your mods here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-updating-your-mod.html

I don't do a lot with biomes so my lists won't cover that, but the stuff with blocks should be useful. But beyond that I explain how to figure things out yourself here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-general-tips-for.html

Mainly you should look at the vanilla code and see what has changed. In Eclipse you can open a project in both versions (the old one and new one) and then open up the same classes and go through and compare them. Usually methods and fields that have changed will be obvious (simple renames, added parameters, etc.) and if not totally obvious you can figure it out by looking for new methods that might do the same thing.

Occasionally some aspects of the code change drastically -- like extended entity parameters now need to be capabilities, and those things usually get a lot of tutorials. Since there is not a lot of biome tutorials it probably means that not much has changed since 1.7 and you should be able to figure it out.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

While it is nice if someone has made a nice tutorial, the reality is that the people who write the tutorials have to figure it out themselves so why not just learn to figure things out yourself.

As you mentioned, between versions things changes. Sometimes it is very simple to figure out yourself what is the new way. I give some tips on how to update your mods here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-updating-your-mod.html

I don't do a lot with biomes so my lists won't cover that, but the stuff with blocks should be useful. But beyond that I explain how to figure things out yourself here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-general-tips-for.html

Mainly you should look at the vanilla code and see what has changed. In Eclipse you can open a project in both versions (the old one and new one) and then open up the same classes and go through and compare them. Usually methods and fields that have changed will be obvious (simple renames, added parameters, etc.) and if not totally obvious you can figure it out by looking for new methods that might do the same thing.

Occasionally some aspects of the code change drastically -- like extended entity parameters now need to be capabilities, and those things usually get a lot of tutorials. Since there is not a lot of biome tutorials it probably means that not much has changed since 1.7 and you should be able to figure it out.

I tend to have an issue with trying to learn on my own... I think it's some kind of mental disorder... I've spent the last week studying the differences and haven't been able to figure it out myself. I'll try again using your tutorial there on noting differences and stuff, though ^^