Connectivity/Packet Handling issues (Forge?)

iggythemad

Minecraft version: 1.4.7

Forge version: 6.6.0.499 (& 497)

Type: Connectivity/Packet Handling

Description

Greetings.

My issue is rather simple. I am running a Minecraft server, with the version of MC and Forge specified above. For few days, however, all the players, me included, experience very annoying connectivity issues. Very often, upon connecting to the server, they get immediately disconnected with either the recv failed or the end of stream errors. Restarting the server does not solve the problem, although sometimes it allows previously clogged player to connect. This, however, is neither permanent nor certain to work.

When I come to diagnose the issue server-side, all I am getting is this piece of log:

2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [Minecraft] tomignatius[/XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:55632] logged in with entity id 1646 at (-166.1234659870101, 63.25, -1404.7575099284559)
2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [sTDOUT] Loading Player: tomignatius
2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [sTDOUT] Sending serverside check to: tomignatius
2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [ForgeModLoader] Duplicate Spell Recipes Generated on Growth and Arcane Bolt (Tower Guardian Version)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [GraviGun] [1.4.6v1] Recieved client info from tomignatius
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [PortalGun] [1.4.6v2] Recieved client info from tomignatius
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:116)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at org.bouncycastle.crypto.io.CipherOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:82)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:140)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(DataOutputStream.java:123)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [sTDERR] 	at ci.run(SourceFile:120)
2013-01-13 21:32:53 [iNFO] [Minecraft] tomignatius lost connection: disconnect.overflow

Regardless of whatever the reason is (recv failed || End of Stream), it's always disconnect.overflow on the server-side.

The issue did not start right away after any of my server-updates. I have in the meantime upgraded from the snapshot of 1.4.7 to the official release of 1.4.7, and the forge from 497 to 499, yet the issue still persists.

Because of this, I am not entirely sure what is the problem. I have no way to say for certain whether this is a Forge issue at all, however from the log I do suspect that the problem lies in packets being somehow wrongly processed. The log does not give any hint as to whether it may or not be the fault of any particular mod.

Thus here I come at thy doorstep, looking for the help, proper opinion and the diagnosis.

Thank you in advance, for any piece of information or suggestion.

-----

Further details

- Using dedicated hosting service. However the other MC servers from the same service do not seem to have the same issue as I do. They, however, use different versions of MC.

- All the members of the server connect with the following set of mods. It's a custom, private pack. Taken from the FML login packet log info:

2013-01-13 21:32:51 [FINEST] [ForgeModLoader] Received valid FML login packet from /XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:55632

2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [Minecraft] User tomignatius connecting with mods [RedPowerWiring, TwilightForest, BuildCraft|Transport, OmniTools, ChargePads, AdvancedPowerManagement, RedPowerCompat, snyke7_Transformers, RedPowerLogic, ObsidiPlates, ThermalExpansion|Energy, drceph.petrogen, Thaumcraft, Forestry, BasicComponents, GraviGun, PluginsforForestry|Thaumcraft, BinnieCore, AdvancedMachines, BechillTPS, mmmPowersuits, PluginsforForestry|BuildCraft, IronChest, MetallurgyCore, ICBM, AtomicScience, BuildCraft|Energy, GregTech_Addon, Railcraft, EE3, MiscPeripherals, LogisticsPipes|Main, PluginsforForestry|Tweaks, PortalGun, ModularForceFieldSystem, factorization, HarkenScythe_Core, RedPowerLighting, ClaySoldiersMod, PluginsforForestry|Ic2, RedPowerBase, LiquidRoundup, XyCraft, ThermalExpansion, APUnofficial, BuildCraft|Silicon, ThermalExpansion|Transport, GraviSuite, Mekanism, IC2NuclearControl, BuildCraft|Core, ThermalExpansion|Factory, IC2, ArsMagica, SecretRoomsMod, PluginsforForestry|BlueFood, ExtraBees, ExtrabiomesXL, StevesCarts, Mystcraft, PluginsforForestry|Forestry, PluginsforForestry|Railcraft, ComputerCraft, AdvancedSolarPanel, BuildCraft|Factory, RedPowerMachine, SoulShards, AssemblyLine, RedPowerCore, mod_SmartMoving, denLib, CCTurtle, ChestTransporter, RedPowerControl, PluginsforForestry|Core, RedPowerWorld, BuildCraft|Builders, PowerConverters, PluginsforForestry|RedPower2]

2013-01-13 21:32:52 [iNFO] [ForgeModLoader] User tomignatius connecting with mods [RedPowerWiring, TwilightForest, BuildCraft|Transport, OmniTools, ChargePads, AdvancedPowerManagement, RedPowerCompat, snyke7_Transformers, RedPowerLogic, ObsidiPlates, ThermalExpansion|Energy, drceph.petrogen, Thaumcraft, Forestry, BasicComponents, GraviGun, PluginsforForestry|Thaumcraft, BinnieCore, AdvancedMachines, BechillTPS, mmmPowersuits, PluginsforForestry|BuildCraft, IronChest, MetallurgyCore, ICBM, AtomicScience, BuildCraft|Energy, GregTech_Addon, Railcraft, EE3, MiscPeripherals, LogisticsPipes|Main, PluginsforForestry|Tweaks, PortalGun, ModularForceFieldSystem, factorization, HarkenScythe_Core, RedPowerLighting, ClaySoldiersMod, PluginsforForestry|Ic2, RedPowerBase, LiquidRoundup, XyCraft, ThermalExpansion, APUnofficial, BuildCraft|Silicon, ThermalExpansion|Transport, GraviSuite, Mekanism, IC2NuclearControl, BuildCraft|Core, ThermalExpansion|Factory, IC2, ArsMagica, SecretRoomsMod, PluginsforForestry|BlueFood, ExtraBees, ExtrabiomesXL, StevesCarts, Mystcraft, PluginsforForestry|Forestry, PluginsforForestry|Railcraft, ComputerCraft, AdvancedSolarPanel, BuildCraft|Factory, RedPowerMachine, SoulShards, AssemblyLine, RedPowerCore, mod_SmartMoving, denLib, CCTurtle, ChestTransporter, RedPowerControl, PluginsforForestry|Core, RedPowerWorld, BuildCraft|Builders, PowerConverters, PluginsforForestry|RedPower2]

- The server runs the same mods, except the mods that are client-side only. Duuh, obviously...

- I try to have all the mods listed above kept up-to-date, using recommended builds.

- The issue persists for few days now, starting around 10th or 11th January.