Need help with increasing max stack size.

1BowTiesAreCool1

Hi, I'm new to Forge and modding but thought I could try it out.

Unfortunately, since I'm new, I don't know that much about coding and I thought i could request some support here on the forums.

I have added an item to the game which I would like to stack in 127 instead of the usual 64 but I can't get it to work.

The only thing that works is that middle-clicking on the item makes it stack in 127, however, when I try to drop it into my inventory the stack gets halved.

How can I do this?

(Note, this is more of a 'test' mod more than anything else, in order to get me comfortable with modding, so this project is of relatively low-priority)

Well, you've already changed the part that isn't hardcoded - like you said. But it doesn't work properly. If you want to find all the places the maximum stack size in enforced, you could try stepping through the debugger while picking up, dropping, combining, etc stacks in the inventory to find where it happens. But if you just want a simple test mod, I'd recommend trying something else!

There may be work-arounds. If memory serves correctly, Tinkers' Construct has items (arrows, throwing knives & shurikens) that have stacksizes (or realistically faked)  > 200

Also previously known as eAndPi.

"Pi, is there a station coming up where we can board your train of thought?" -Kronnn

Published Mods: Underworld

Handy links: Vic_'s Forge events Own WIP Tutorials.

1 hour ago, Matryoshika said:

There may be work-arounds. If memory serves correctly, Tinkers' Construct has items (arrows, throwing knives & shurikens) that have stacksizes (or realistically faked)  > 200

Tinkers' Construct uses single, non-stackable Items and they store their own the "stack size" in NBT and do logic based on that, instead of ItemStack's stack size.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

On 4/10/2017 at 3:42 PM, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

I don't know that much about coding

If that's the case, then even before trying a simple mod, you should sign up for a class that teaches any object-oriented language (e.g. C++, Java etc). You may find that even doing that may require a prerequisite of a simpler intro-to-programming class or simpler language. Either that, or completing the O-O programming aspects of the O-O language requires two terms.

I say this because modding means working around some unusual constraints, and that means often doing or understanding some uncommon / advanced techniques (similar to hacking). This is not how you want to be introduced to programming. Not only is it akin to being thrown into the deep end of the pool, but it will teach you bad habits -- either because good practice would require a Mojang design change or because you'd be learning from a mixed bag that includes amateurs peddling  wretched coding practices.

So go to school and get some basic training supported by a professional teacher who can answer all your beginner questions. Come back  here in about six months ready to add Forge and Minecraft knowledge on top of a solid programming foundation.

Edited by jeffryfisher

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

7 minutes ago, 1BowTiesAreCool1 said:

I'm afraid that I do not have any such oppurtunities, partly because I'm just 15 years old and there are no nearby places for me to learn programming. So yeah, the only option for me is to learn through the internet...

If you don't have the oppurtunity to learn programming in school, I would recommend reading books. There are quite a few good books on amazon to learn languages like C++ and Java.

But books alone won't do it, it comes also with a lot of practice.

Developer of Primeval Forest.