Reading Code for Other People's Mods

T.S.White

Hey guys, I'm new and this might be a dumb question.

Can I read the code for other people's mods? How? Where?

I'm just starting, and I think it would be helpful to open up and look at how other people did things, rather than re-inventing the wheel, and it would also be helpful in making sure whatever mod(s) I create are going to play well with other mods. My intent is not to copy and paste someone else's code and call it my own. If the mods I want existed, I probably wouldn't be getting into all this. I just want to know the hows, wheres, and whys of what other people have done.

Thanks in advance!

-T.S.White

P.S. If there's an answer to this somewhere already, my apologies. I'd be very grateful if you'd point me to it.

Edited by T.S.White
Post Script

Two things I do if I want to understand something from someone's mod:

• Look at Github to see if the mod's code is published.  A lot of authors (including myself) make mod code available there.
  • I use JD-Gui (a Java Decompiler in GUI form) to look at JARs.  This is tougher because the Minecraft names are obsfucated and will require a decoder ring especially if you are new to modding Minecraft.

And kudos for not wanting to copy something outright.  Make sure you obey any license terms related to a mod's source.  Some are very open (like Public Domain or MIT) or very restrictive (All rights reserved, PERIOD).