[1.10.2] Advanced TileEntity Renderers

Zane49er

I have been searching for a way to make the rifts in my mod look how I want them to for a very long time, and I think I've found it - a custom renderer! I want them to have the following properties:

*Fulbright

*any color

*slightly procedural (explained later)

My current code can be found here https://github.com/zane49er2/VMC , or in the spoiler.

Spoiler

package zane49er.VolkiharEchoes.features.tileEntities;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.GlStateManager;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.Tessellator;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.VertexBuffer;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.tileentity.TileEntitySpecialRenderer;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.vertex.DefaultVertexFormats;
import net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity;

public class RiftRenderer extends TileEntitySpecialRenderer {

int r = 200;
	int g = 200;
	int b = 200;

@Override
	public void renderTileEntityAt(TileEntity te, double x, double y, double z, float partialTick, int destroyStage) {
		GlStateManager.pushMatrix(); {
			GlStateManager.translate(x + 0.5, y + 0.066, z + 0.75);
			//GlStateManager.rotate(90F, 1.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F);
			//GlStateManager.scale(0.25F, 0.25F, 0.25F);
			GlStateManager.color(r, g, b);
	        GlStateManager.disableLighting();
			Tessellator wrt = Tessellator.getInstance();
	        VertexBuffer wr = wrt.getBuffer();
	        wr.begin(7, DefaultVertexFormats.POSITION_COLOR);
	        wr.color(r, g, b, 255);
			wr.pos(x, y, z);
			wr.pos(x+1, y, z);
			wr.pos(x+1, y+1, z);
			wr.pos(x, y+1, z);
			wrt.draw();
		}
		GlStateManager.popMatrix();
	}
}

This code renders literally nothing, though. I copied it from 3 different places (chest, beacon, and internet) and 2 hours of research, so it might just be that I'm combining way too many methods into the same thing.

By "slightly procedural" I mean that there will be a list of 'arms' in the TileEntity that is randomly generated. Those arms are what eventually want to render.

I want the final product to look like a 3D crack in the sky from any angle. The closest thing I can think of in reality (or other mods) is a ball of lightning generated by tesla coil or something, but concentrated and larger in the center to look like glass cracking.

Is this entirely stupid, or how can I implement it?

Lord Volkihar has requested that I send the following message to everyone who is gifted, intellectually or artistically:

We hope that some people could help us share an epic tale of lord Volkihar's achievements and magnificent life. we plan to do this through modern media such as books, games, and mods.

For lost details, we are looking for around 5 gallons of Cortexiphan, and some N.Z.T.(around 50 pills) also, if you happen to know how to create a gel with the same density as human flesh, but low viscosity and adhesion, recipes would be appreciated.

• color is a property of a vertex, you can't just put it into a buffer without any context and expect it to work.
  • After defining a vertex you must end it's definition with VertexBuffer::endVertex.
  • There is no point in applying color with GlStateManager as your vertex format already specifies a color.
  • If you are changing states of GlStateManager - reset them after you are done. If you are disabling the lighting before drawing enable it after you are done.
  • You have already translated everything by xyz with GlStateManager.translate. Putting xyz as origin in your vertices is going to translate them again, causing issues.
  • If you want your rendering 'fullbright' disabling lighting is not going to be enough, you will need to specify lightmap coordinates.
16 minutes ago, Zane49er said:

how can I implement it?

That is really up tou you. I do not think there are any tutorials out there that would describe how to render "a rift". You would want to play with rendering untill you achieve the effect you are after.

I really just have no Idea how the vertexbuffer system works. what I meant by "how can I implement it?" was "how can I make the colored, fullbright, procedural model?"

• Vertexes = vertices = points, so how can color be for vertex and not face? where do I define the color?
  • I'll try putting that just before the draw, but I don't know if that's right
  • good point.
  • thanks
  • thanks
  • how?

Lord Volkihar has requested that I send the following message to everyone who is gifted, intellectually or artistically:

We hope that some people could help us share an epic tale of lord Volkihar's achievements and magnificent life. we plan to do this through modern media such as books, games, and mods.

For lost details, we are looking for around 5 gallons of Cortexiphan, and some N.Z.T.(around 50 pills) also, if you happen to know how to create a gel with the same density as human flesh, but low viscosity and adhesion, recipes would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Zane49er said:

Vertexes = vertices = points, so how can color be for vertex and not face?

Have you heard of gradients? How do you think they work? The color is a property of a vertex, aka a point. If you define a point with a red color and a point with a green color the color of the line drawn between those two points will be linearly interpolated.

I'll try putting that just before the draw, but I don't know if that's right

You put it after you define a vertex. When you call pos you define a position element of a vertex. When you call color you define another element of a vertex.

wr.pos(0, 0, 0).color(100, 100, 100, 255).endVertex(); is a fully defined position + color vertex.

how?

You would either select a vertex format that uses lightmap as one of it's vertex elements or manualy set it with OpenGlHelper.setLightmapTextureCoords. If you use the later do not forget to reset it back.

Additionally if your vertex format does not include UVs(texture) disable it before rendering(GlStateManager.disableTexture2D) and enable it after you are done.

Edited by V0idWa1k3r
  • Like 1

this:

Spoiler

int r = 200;
	int g = 200;
	int b = 200;

@Override
	public void renderTileEntityAt(TileEntity te, double x, double y, double z, float partialTick, int destroyStage) {
			//GlStateManager.color(r, g, b);
	        GlStateManager.disableTexture2D();
			wr.pos(0, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).lightmap(255, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(1, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).lightmap(255, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(1, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).lightmap(255, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(0, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).lightmap(255, 255).endVertex();
			wrt.draw();
	        GlStateManager.enableLighting();
	        GlStateManager.enableTexture2D();
		}
	}
}

still does nothing.

Edited by Zane49er

Spoiler

int r = 200;
	int g = 200;
	int b = 200;

@Override
			//GlStateManager.color(r, g, b);
	        wr.begin(7, DefaultVertexFormats.POSITION_TEX_LMAP_COLOR);
			wr.pos(0, 0, 0).lightmap(255, 255).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(1, 0, 0).lightmap(255, 255).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(1, 1, 0).lightmap(255, 255).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
			wr.pos(0, 1, 0).lightmap(255, 255).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
			wrt.draw();
		}
	}
}

2017-08-03_01.21.57.png2017-08-03_01.21.37.png2017-08-03_01.21.24.png

It's definitely rendering something now! I still don't get light maps or why they have stretched to infinity.

Edited by Zane49er

The ordering matters. If your format is POSITION_TEX_LMAP_COLOR then you must specify a position, a set of UVs, a lightmap and color in that order. Also as this format uses UVs you shouldn't disable the texture. You should also provide a set of UVs that makes sense, not fill it with zeroes.

Additionally I believe that lightmap of 255 255 is actually pretty dark. I use 240 240 when I want full brightness.

As you've pretty much got it done here is a code snippet that renders your quad:

wr.pos(0, 0, 0).tex(0, 0).lightmap(240, 240).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
wr.pos(1, 0, 0).tex(1, 0).lightmap(240, 240).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
wr.pos(1, 1, 0).tex(1, 1).lightmap(240, 240).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();
wr.pos(0, 1, 0).tex(0, 1).lightmap(240, 240).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

Note that it rendrs whatever texture was bound last, and it is a small face that only renders when you look at it from a specific side. This is most likely not what you want to achieve but it is a starting point, I suppose ;)

Ideally It'd have no texture, but I only saw the one format with light map... is there something I'm missing? Also, thanks a lot for the help. This is, indeed, a start... and often the math stuff is easier than the language stuff for me, so I expect most of the work is in that start.

Just now, Zane49er said:

Ideally It'd have no texture, but I only saw the one format with light map... is there something I'm missing?

You can use 

39 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

OpenGlHelper.setLightmapTextureCoords

Store the previous coordinates in locals(the current coordinates are stored in OpenGlHelper.lastBrightnessX and OpenGlHelper.lastBrightnessY), set the coordinates to whatever you want, render your thing and reset them back. The target parameter for OpenGlHelper.setLightmapTextureCoords would be OpenGlHelper.lightmapTexUnit

• Like 1

Spoiler

import net.minecraft.client.renderer.OpenGlHelper;

int r = 255;

int g = 0;

int b = 0;

@Override

float PBX = OpenGlHelper.lastBrightnessX;

float PBY = OpenGlHelper.lastBrightnessX;

//GlStateManager.translate(x + 0.5, y + 0.066, z + 0.75);

OpenGlHelper.setLightmapTextureCoords(240, 240, 240);

wr.pos(0, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(1, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(1, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(0, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(0, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(0, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(1, 1, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wr.pos(1, 0, 0).color(r, b, g, 255).endVertex();

wrt.draw();

OpenGlHelper.setLightmapTextureCoords(???, ???, ???);

}

}

}

I am now even more confused about how minecraft's Lightmaps work...

This crashes the game (even without the use of ??? as an integer)

Really, a 3d lightmap? or a strange integer in a float lightmap?

??????

Thanks, everything is working!

Okay, one more thing: can I make it so it renders no matter how far away you are? Like a beacon, instead of a sign, it is still visible when you are several chunks away.

2017-08-03_11.27.14.png

There are a few rifts, signs, and chests surrounding the beam.

Edited by Zane49er

good point, I'm still not really used to having access to them... I just managed to decompile Minecraft on Wednesday. :P

edit: hmmm, this:

public boolean isGlobalRenderer(TileEntityRift te) {

return true;

}

doesn't work...

Edited by Zane49er

You need to potentially override TileEntity::getRenderBoundingBox and TileEntity::getMaxRenderDistanceSquared. The first method dictates whether to render your TE if it is's origin is not within camera's viewport, the second one dictates the distance to stop rendering your TE at. Mind the "squared" in the name of the method. By default it returns 4096 that translates to 64 blocks.

• Like 1

Yep, that was it! thanks again for all the help.