[SOLVED] [1.15.2] Binding TER and getting errors about types?

IceMetalPunk

I'm trying to bind a simple TER to a tile entity of mine. Just as a test/learning exercise, I've created a blank TER that has an empty render method, and I'm trying to bind it to an existing tile entity in my mod. But Eclipse is complaining that the renderer type isn't correct.

I have a tile entity called RedstoneVaporizerTileEntity, which extends the base TileEntity class. Then I have this TER (ignore the naming, as I said it's just a test):

public class CompressorTileEntityRenderer extends TileEntityRenderer<RedstoneVaporizerTileEntity> {

public CompressorTileEntityRenderer(TileEntityRendererDispatcher rendererDispatcherIn) {
		super(rendererDispatcherIn);
	}

@Override
	public void render(RedstoneVaporizerTileEntity tileEntityIn, float partialTicks, MatrixStack matrixStackIn,
			IRenderTypeBuffer bufferIn, int combinedLightIn, int combinedOverlayIn) {

}

}

I'm trying to bind it in the FMLClientSetup event handler like this:

ClientRegistry.bindTileEntityRenderer(RedstoneVaporizerBlock.teType, CompressorTileEntityRenderer::new);

(The RedstoneVaporizerBlock has a public static field called teType with the registered tile entity type, BTW.)

Eclipse is complaining that "The constructed object of type CompressorTileEntityRenderer is incompatible with the descriptor's return type: TileEntityRenderer<? super T>"

I don't understand quote what I'm doing wrong? The TER class extends TileEntityRenderer<RedstoneVaporizerTileEntity>, and that TE class extends TileEntity. Isn't that the expected return type? What am I missing?

Edited by IceMetalPunk
Solved

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Well, after hours of scratching my head and debugging, I figured it out. I was creating the tile entity type manually rather than using the builder, and apparently that caused all kinds of problems with how the generic parameters were being interpreted. I switched to using the builder and now everything works. Whoo!

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.